General Forum

Phat Lewt!... also.. other stuff. 16 replies

TheSource (Admin) said on: 2015-05-20 02:54 am
3256 Days, 16 Hrs, 42 Min, 52 Sec ago
Ok, here's the deal. The staff here at netnexus... we haven't been all that active. I know. We've made the site, and the games, but we haven't kept our end. We haven't been here and providing updates. We haven't been in the chat, on the forums, checking help tickets. We know, bad Admin status. We're sorry.

This site has always been a project. An outlet. A stone with which, we, the admins have honed our skills. But it has also been an outlet for you, the users. I've been a part of this site since the beginning. I was a beta account for nations. I played D+ and TL in it's infancy. Many of you have done these things as well.

I somehow, through luck or skill, maybe a combo found myself being a dev for this site. I'm grateful to this day. Unbeknownst to me, this site, this COMMUNITY set me on the path I'm currently on. I started as a young, bright eyed child. I say child because it's true. 1998. that's when I got to NN. That's when it started. My obsession. creating an entertainment product that provided joy to others. That's what I wanted. That's what it did. It took me years, YEARS to get to a point that I could dev for NN. It happened though, and maybe I've squandered the opportunity... maybe. I have, however, learned a lot. I went from a young teen, to a young man, to a father, to a husband, all with this place in mind, or as a past time. I've changed a lot, and so has this community.

I know we get a lot of flak, from you, the community. We get it for a lot of things. Let's be real, we deserve most of it in a lot of cases. Let's shift gears though... Let's try something new.

We love you, the community. We love what we are because of you, and yes... even in spite of you, sometimes. We've thrived, floundered, skated by, and existed, on the whims of the dedicated users we have had.

This community, has and always will be, a project of passion, entertainment, and experimentation. Our Vip service exists merely as a method of offsetting our server costs. Even at our peak, we've never seen a profit on NN. Honestly, our resident Admin: Tom has footed the bill himself to keep this place alive.

With that in mind, I'm proud to announce that I have granted to as of today active nations accounts, 30 days of Vip privileges. This is a small gesture to the active community that we do, in fact care.

I would also like to take the time to announce this: My indepentent studio(InAnotherCastleGuys) Will be releasing the Technical Alpha of our in development game (WaR3: Rebirth) to all registered NN users. The alpha date is yet to be set. However, over the next few weeks, we will be releasing content, and eventually the alpha client to NN users first. Please check NN daily for updates to this program.

Users granted 1 month of Vip are as follows:
Hehe
Roughrider
XSquad
Kazoany
PounceOnU
DoAlCa
Entity-Neo
THRUSTER
JEBStuart
Stormbringer
Moonshine
Bubble_dees
Firelold
Cronus
CRACKER_JACK
Secretweapon
Scytherboom said on: 2015-05-22 02:12 pm
3254 Days, 5 Hrs, 25 Min, 2 Sec ago
Awww yiss, WaR3.
HELLSS said on: 2015-05-28 08:52 pm
3247 Days, 22 Hrs, 45 Min, 31 Sec ago
Nice to see a blip on this sites vitals :)

wandered back here myself recently, played a bit of the games... good times. Hope to see more going on here!
Desideo said on: 2015-05-29 11:21 am
3247 Days, 8 Hrs, 15 Min, 36 Sec ago
Come on man, move pass this site and if you have passion for making games, make something that is relevant and not something so ridiculously dated and petty. I know that may be hard to hear but the games here are jokes. Not trying to offend you BTW. I don't see any need for apologies for not tending to a dead site. There is no reason to have admins on here and if Tom is paying even a dollar to keep this site going he should just pull the plug.
TheSource (Admin) said on: 2015-05-29 07:11 pm
3247 Days, 26 Minutes, 20 Seconds ago
Super simple, this is a HOBBY site for us. It always will be. You don't like it here and think the plug should be pulled? Fine. Stop coming and it will seem that way to you. We don't mind, honestly. I'm not here to please you or pander to your whims and expectations. We'll keep on enjoying our hobby, and anyone that wants to stick around for the ride is welcome.

HELLSS! Good to see you buddy! Web design and whatnot back in the day. Blek r teh, nublars.
Desideo said on: 2015-05-30 02:49 am
3246 Days, 16 Hrs, 48 Min, 1 Sec ago
Obviously my advice has offended you. I am sorry for that. I guess I have no place or right to assert my opinion on such matters. "If people don't like it they can hit the road". I get it.

I will most likely pop in once in awhile until the site is truly gone. Just like you. Just like almost everyone else. My opinion doesn't mean that once every blue moon I won't type in this address.

Lastly: take a chill pill and enjoy your hobby.
IronSinew (Admin) said on: 2015-05-30 11:19 am
3246 Days, 8 Hrs, 18 Min, 20 Sec ago
I'm not sure I'd call it offended, but the comments directed at the Admins have been long-repeated and droning. I agree with both sides at times, but NN is still for fun. We want it to be that way for users, mods and admins alike. We'll miss you if you don't stay, but no one will force you to.

One day I may be able to just make games full time and at the rate browsers are progressing, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if many of them started to exist in them on larger scale. The internet isn't going anywhere, and the tools that interact with it keep advancing. When Humble Bundle had their free demos of 12 different games in-browser I was blown away. I really think things could be heading that way.

NN's future isn't set in stone, but I don't think that it will die any time soon, either.

~Iron
Desideo said on: 2015-05-31 11:07 am
3245 Days, 8 Hrs, 30 Min, 8 Sec ago
I typed without thinking. I know what I said is repetitive and I know your stance on the matter as well. So usually with those two things combined I would zip my mouth but I suppose I was a little compulsive and my opinion wasn't beneficial either.

I don't want to hijack the thread so maybe just delete these responses if necessary.

Cheers.
Red (Tester) said on: 2015-06-04 09:24 pm
3240 Days, 22 Hrs, 13 Min, 6 Sec ago
Don't turn this thread into something nostalgic like Admin flak :) I've always wondered how Tom and Aimee's kids are doing, and themselves. It feels like forever.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear there's more going on. If ya'll need help with things, let us (the community) know. I for one could benefit from more hobbies, especially ones that allow us to reconnect with old friends.

Looking forward to the change.

If you want some suggestions though, I have a couple, but I'll share my biggest one:

The communication medium here is severely outdated. I'm not saying the forums are bad, although it's as simple as it gets, simple is good. I'm more thinking the chat. It's bulky and clunky and sometimes doesn't work for me on a modern computer with a modern browser. I am not sure if this is an issue everyone sees, but I am a regular Windows user on Chrome, and if it's a problem for me, I'm sure it is for others.. Last I checked Eion made a very useful plugin for Pidgin that connects to chat, but I feel a silent minority are aware of this, and although Eion holds an Admin spot here, I'm sure he's busy with his career.

So, I would suggest maybe seeing if he could find some time to check his hobby of plugin creation and craft something for netnexus. This comes to my next point, there's a lot of readily available things out there with node.js and HTML5 that can easily take this website into the 21st century without much change required to the layout.

Again, simple is good, and it's comfortable and memorable. I'm thinking more like making the CSS more mobile/pixel friendly. This site, to me, looks great on my 13" Macbook, empty and bland on my workstation monitors (3000+ px), annoying to navigate with my smartphone.

Anyway, sorry for the mouthful lol. Hi everybody!
Andrewz said on: 2015-06-05 06:23 pm
3240 Days, 1 Hr, 13 Min, 44 Sec ago
I am glad to hear about new stuff for the World at Ruins. My fingers did some walking to see if it was still around. WaR2 may have a new iteration and browser look (Drunkpunch's Maps are woefully out of date), but the play is just like I recalled.

Thanks for that.

Cheers
SeniorUnloco said on: 2015-06-11 08:01 pm
3233 Days, 23 Hrs, 36 Min, 5 Sec ago
WHY ISNT THERE A TL;DR??
XSquad said on: 2015-06-11 09:14 pm
3233 Days, 22 Hrs, 22 Min, 45 Sec ago
Jee thx! And we understand. Miss the old days ahah
ShadowLord69 said on: 2015-06-19 02:08 pm
3226 Days, 5 Hrs, 28 Min, 58 Sec ago
there i replied :P
Happyguy said on: 2015-07-03 01:32 pm
3212 Days, 6 Hrs, 5 Min, 24 Sec ago
Cool too see you guys are alive.

Any thoughts of turning TL into an App? Or selling it to those of us who want to do that? :P
FireStarter said on: 2015-07-29 06:51 pm
3186 Days, 45 Minutes, 51 Seconds ago
I'm pretty eager to see this WaR3: Rebirth myself.

[Added at 07/30/2015 21:46:52 by TheSource]
Bah

[Added at 07/30/2015 21:47:13 by TheSource]
NOW YOU HAVE!
TheSource (Admin) said on: 2015-07-30 05:44 pm
3185 Days, 1 Hr, 53 Min, 1 Sec ago
So, We switched engines, and had to re program a lot of stuff, however we are still working on it :) I'll post a video/screenshots soon.
IronSinew (Admin) said on: 2015-09-19 05:12 pm
3134 Days, 2 Hrs, 24 Min, 40 Sec ago
This is a reply.