General Forum

Prayer By An Arizona Student 22 replies

DaisukeNiwa said on: 2008-02-26 02:28 pm
5903 Days, 6 Hrs, 52 Min, 25 Sec ago
A kid in Arizona wrote the attached NEW School prayer :

Now I sit me down in school where praying is against the rule
For this great nation under God Finds mention of Him very odd.

If Scripture now the class recites,
It violates the Bill of Rights.

And anytime my head I bow
Becomes a Federal matter now.

Our hair can be purple, orange or green,
That's no offense; it's a freedom scene.

The law is specific, the law is precise.
Prayers spoken aloud are a serious vice.

For praying in a public hall
Might offend someone with no faith at all.

In silence alone we must meditate,
God's name is prohibited by the state.

We're allowed to cuss and dress like freaks,
And pierce our noses, tongues and cheeks.

They've outlawed guns, but FIRST the Bible.
To quote the Good Book makes me liable.

We can elect a pregnant Senior Queen,
And the 'unwed daddy,' our Senior King.

It's "inappropriate" to teach right from wrong,
We're taught that such "judgments" do not belong.

We can get our condoms and birth controls,
Study witchcraft, vampires and totem poles.

But the Ten Commandments are not allowed,
No word of God must reach this crowd.

It's scary here I must confess,
When chaos reigns the school's a mess.

So, Lord, this silent plea I make:
Should I be shot; My soul please take!

Amen

If you aren't ashamed to do this, please pass this> on.

Jesus said, "If you are ashamed of me, I will be
ashamed of you before my Father."

Not ashamed. Pass this on.

Mike had posted this on another website, so I figured I'd post it here. : It is very accurate, and kind of sad if you think about it.
Elmy said on: 2008-02-26 06:50 pm
5903 Days, 2 Hrs, 31 Min, 10 Sec ago
Only if you don't look at the reasoning behind it. This is the type of stuff that makes everyone go 'Awwww....' until they're reminded why stuff was changed in the first place.

On top of that, it's grossly exaggerated. No one cares what you want to believe, or if you want to pray. There's no law that says you can't. The point now is, it can't be imposed.
DannyFo (Mod) said on: 2008-02-26 10:59 pm
5902 Days, 22 Hrs, 21 Min, 31 Sec ago
Thats not really a prayer though...its more of a poem...but okay.

The only time he ever even mentions that the poem is for God is the very end.

"So, Lord, this silent plea I make:
Should I be shot; My soul please take!"

This is definitely more of an attack on the way our public schools handle religion and not a prayer to God asking for anything.
Dondon said on: 2008-02-26 11:27 pm
5902 Days, 21 Hrs, 53 Min, 31 Sec ago
If people still believe in that garbage, schools aren't teaching science good enough.
DannyFo (Mod) said on: 2008-02-26 11:34 pm
5902 Days, 21 Hrs, 47 Min, 20 Sec ago
"If people still believe in that garbage, schools aren't teaching science good enough."

Apparently they aren't teaching English well enough either.
Dondon said on: 2008-02-26 11:41 pm
5902 Days, 21 Hrs, 40 Min, 4 Sec ago
Umm, that sentence is fine.

[Added at 02/26/2008 23:44:29 by Dondon]
Also, my grades disagree with you. I have never had less than an A in English, and I don't even try. Any marks I've ever lost in the past, like, 12 years have been for content, and never grammar.

I just don't think much about what I type online, which is sad considering that everyone else says that too, yet my posts are almost perfect.
Dacrimoss said on: 2008-02-27 07:20 am
5902 Days, 14 Hrs, 54 Sec ago
Just so you know, most public schools have a joke of an English program. I did well in my public high school English, but I still got ripped apart when I went to college and they expected me to diagram sentences and identify gerunds and infinitives.

If you are in high school and don't know what I am talking about, you are woefully behind and your English class is glorified daycare.

[Added at 02/27/2008 07:23:38 by Dacrimoss]
fyi Dondon, there is a difference between good and well.
PinWizard said on: 2008-02-27 11:02 am
5902 Days, 10 Hrs, 19 Min, 3 Sec ago
i learned about digraming in 7th grade.. and how to idenify geruands and infinitves..... then i moved and havnt learned anything since
Anguish said on: 2008-02-27 11:44 am
5902 Days, 9 Hrs, 37 Min, 2 Sec ago
Son, if you dont start listening and doing what i tell you, im going to have you stoned.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy%2021:18-21;&version=31

:(

[Added at 02/27/2008 11:46:50 by Anguish]
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy%2013:6-11&version=31

I think the next time those door-door people come to talk to me about religion i might just quote the bible at 'em.
Korgrath (Mod) said on: 2008-02-27 12:19 pm
5902 Days, 9 Hrs, 1 Min, 49 Sec ago
I agree with Dacrimoss, the jump between high school and college english is huge. If you're not consistently getting A's in High School, you're really gonna struggle with it in College.

Oh and there's a big difference between banning prayer in public schools and banning forced prayer in public schools. Unless I missed something and some schools have now banned any prayer?
PinWizard said on: 2008-02-27 01:10 pm
5902 Days, 8 Hrs, 10 Min, 47 Sec ago
they made us stop saying prayer before football games in the locker room witch was dumb b/c i think us football players liked saying it....

i pray before every sporting event im in
Viper10488 said on: 2008-02-27 01:17 pm
5902 Days, 8 Hrs, 3 Min, 54 Sec ago
LOL @ DonDon

you got told!!!
and whether you're getting A's for w/e amount of years. It does not seem to be paying off.

hmmz Anguish brought up 2 passages that do bring shock to me. Maybe Dacrimoss can explain it...
Dondon said on: 2008-02-27 10:54 pm
5901 Days, 22 Hrs, 26 Min, 31 Sec ago
I've never claimed my English is perfect, but it's a LOT better than the average person's.

Yeah, high school English is garbage. I don't know what gerunds or infinitives are. But that's to be expected when most of English is dedicated to writing essays or analyzing symbols in literature. Knowing how to do essays is useful, but the technical side of English would be of much more use in the real world. At least I know all about symbolism and how important it is to stuff, like writing poems.
Nataku said on: 2008-02-28 02:02 am
5901 Days, 19 Hrs, 18 Min, 35 Sec ago
i hated always doing essays. i wanted to learn stuff like what words make up a word and such.
Space-Monkey said on: 2008-02-28 01:42 pm
5901 Days, 7 Hrs, 39 Min, 19 Sec ago
Dondon said on: 02/26/08 11:41 pm
(1 Day, 13 Hrs, 57 Min, 16 Sec ago)
Umm, that sentence is fine.

[Added at 02/26/2008 23:44:29 by Dondon]
Also, my grades disagree with you. I have never had less than an A in English, and I don't even try. Any marks I've ever lost in the past, like, 12 years have been for content, and never grammar.

POINT PROVEN DANNY!
TerranCommando said on: 2008-02-28 01:54 pm
5901 Days, 7 Hrs, 26 Min, 26 Sec ago
Quit arguing about grammar.
Dacrimoss said on: 2008-02-29 06:06 pm
5900 Days, 3 Hrs, 15 Min, 15 Sec ago
For the record, I am personally against both forced prayers in school and restricted prayers in school.

~Anguish~

I have the feeling you posted this because I made an appearance in the thread.

Believe it or not I have read Deuteronomy. And Leviticus. I could give you a detailed explanation, but I think in this case I'll boil it down to cliff's notes for you.

1. You are quoting the law of Moses. The New Testament clearly teaches in Acts chapter 15 that believers today are no longer under the law of Moses.

2. The Jews in that day had the benefit of actually seeing a physical manifestation of God. If someone in that time were foolish enough to go worship a dead idol, they had problems...probably something to do with the temple prostitutes that frequented idol worship in those days.

Exodus 40:38
For the cloud of Jehovah was upon the tabernacle by day, and fire was on it by night, in the sight of all the house of Israel, in all their journeys.

3. Looking down on the standards in ancient cultures is like looking down on swords in favor of tasers.

Have you ever met a rebellious punk that was such a terror to everyone that came his way that you felt like he deserved to die? For the Hebrews in those days, you could actually do something about those punks, and furthermore you were expected to.

4. Making rules is part of God's job description. He can do whatever He wants.

Don't like it?

Bummer.
Nataku said on: 2008-02-29 06:36 pm
5900 Days, 2 Hrs, 44 Min, 50 Sec ago
Forced prayer eh, is that like forced feminization or something around the lines.
Anguish said on: 2008-02-29 09:37 pm
5899 Days, 23 Hrs, 43 Min, 44 Sec ago
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs%2020:30&version=31

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Numbers%2015:32-36;&version=31

Just a few more for fun, and no i didnt post that because you came in here, i just figured it was relevant.

Honestly, the new testament "repealling" some laws seems kind of..silly. How can you punish someone for something, then a few centuries later say "oh..its ok"

And lets not forget that at one point in time, you could buy your way into heaven. (I'm refering to the time when sins were pardonned by purchasing them from the clergy, a practice that was done widely throughout europe).

No offense, but religion is very hypocritical, and when social acceptability of certain values are deemed improper (putting people to death) you simply come out with a brand new bible basically saying "oh..that garbage is old, we were barbaric and cruel back then", what to me at least you are really saying is: God was wrong back then, bad God, naughty God putting people to death for your own vanity.

And imo God is far above that, im one of those people who stoutly believes in God, but i hold religion in contempt. =)
Dacrimoss said on: 2008-03-01 10:08 pm
5898 Days, 23 Hrs, 13 Min, 9 Sec ago
~Anxious~

So where do you get these? I'd be interested in knowing where you got your list of "bad bible verses" from.

The Proverbs 20:30 passage deals with discipline in the form of punishment.

As for Numbers 15:32-36, this fellow broke one of the ten commandments immediately after they just got them. Men have died for less at the hands of their own generals.

You really should consider context, it will do wonders for your understanding.

Finally, if you don't understand why believers are no longer under the Mosaic Law, you don't understand what exactly Jesus accomplished on the cross. The two are inseparable.
DannyFo (Mod) said on: 2008-03-01 11:37 pm
5898 Days, 21 Hrs, 44 Min, 0 Sec ago
You definitely can't just grab random versus and say they are bad. Because in context they mean something completely different.

Its pulling random quotes and using them out of context that starts most Cults.
Viper10488 said on: 2008-03-02 12:33 am
5898 Days, 20 Hrs, 47 Min, 28 Sec ago
and u cant judge verses one by one. you have to look at the bible as a whole. read the before and the after.
Arch-Devil said on: 2008-03-02 03:28 am
5898 Days, 17 Hrs, 52 Min, 44 Sec ago
I don't think the Bible is without value, it can just be taken rather badly or quite well. I believe it's a book of metaphore and morals and shouldn't be taken as absolute fact cause that's just stupid.

Anyway, i don't think prayer should be forced on anyone nor should it be stopped if one wishes to. It's stupid if someone gets offended by another's beliefs, even if they're blatantly wrong or flawed.

I can't remember which side I'm arguing for..I'm going to bed.