General Forum

Medieval time nobility ranks? 7 replies

Xiaodaoye said on: 2008-12-09 06:55 pm
5610 Days, 11 Hrs, 8 Min, 33 Sec ago
Hello,

I have a essay i'm writing about midieval times, and was wondering if anyone knows the system ranks from highest to lowest. I know king is highest, and peasant is lowest but i have no clue what inbetween.

Xiaodaoye
Byakuya said on: 2008-12-09 07:15 pm
5610 Days, 10 Hrs, 48 Min, 37 Sec ago
it may not be that accurate but i can name a few

king
prince
duke
viscount
baron
knight
squire
peasant
serf - far worse than a peasant, commonly called a slave.

TheSource (Admin) said on: 2008-12-09 07:15 pm
5610 Days, 10 Hrs, 48 Min, 6 Sec ago
Emperor, Empress
Your (Royal) Majesty, My Lord/Lady, Emperor/Empress Pat
- Rules an empire.
King, Queen
Your (Royal) Majesty, My Lord/Lady, My King/Queen, King/Queen Pat
- Rules a country or married to the ruler. In some cases you can only inherit the title of King, if you marry the Queen you are Prince Consort.
Prince, Princess
Your (Royal) Highness, My Lord/Lady, Prince(ss) Pat
- Typically the son or daughter of a ruler but sometimes rule a country such as the Principality of Monaco.
Prince Consort, Princess Consort
Your Highness, My Lord/Lady, Prince(ss) Pat
- Married to a ruling monarch.
Regent
Addressed as Regent or by inherited title
- Regents rule in the stead of the crowned monarch if he/she is too young to rule or occasionally if incapable of ruling due to infirmity.
Grand Duke, Grand Duchess
My Lord/Lady, Your Grace, Grand Duke(Duchess) Pat
- Usually reserved for either a ruling monarch, decendants of a former ruling monarch, or rarely used instead of Prince(ss) for the offspring of a King/Queen.
Duke, Duchess
Your Grace, Duke(Duchess) Pat
- Nobility which holds lands within a prinicpality/kingdom, a hereditary title for the ruler of a duchy.
Margrave, Margravine
My Lord/Lady, Lord Pat, Margrave(Margravine) Pat
- Also called a Marquess/Marchioness. Equivalent in rank to a duke but holds land in the "marches" or border area, because conflict on borders is frequent they had broad power.
Earl, Landgrave, Count, Countess
My Lord/Lady, Earl(Landgrave, Count etc.) Pat
- Roughly equivalent titles, since there is no feminine term for Earl Countess is used.
Viscount, Viscountess
My Lord/Lady, Lord(Lady) Pat, Viscount(ess) Pat
- Title granted to someone not quite important enough to be a count but too important to be a baron.
Baron, Baroness
-
Baronet, Baronetess
-
Knight, Dame
-
Reeve
-
Squire
-
Yeoman
- Peasant who holds land in his/her own right.
Peasant
- Anyone not a noble. Collectively referred to as "the commons".
Serf
- Person bound to the land, virtually a slave to the landowner, but can free themselves by running away (usually to the city) for a year and a day.

Byakuya said on: 2008-12-09 07:18 pm
5610 Days, 10 Hrs, 45 Min, 25 Sec ago
whoops! there goes your answer. i had this before during my history class but wasn't really in to it, history class is boring
Ayanami said on: 2008-12-09 09:30 pm
5610 Days, 8 Hrs, 33 Min, 50 Sec ago
wiki next time?
ILLiCiT said on: 2008-12-09 10:38 pm
5610 Days, 7 Hrs, 25 Min, 31 Sec ago
Musical Instrument Digital Interface, IPA: /ˈmɪdi/) is an industry-standard protocol defined in 1983 that enables electronic musical instruments, computers, and other equipment to communicate, control, and synchronize with each other. MIDI allows computers, synthesizers, MIDI controllers, sound cards, samplers and drum machines to control one another, and to exchange system data (acting as a raw data encapsulation method for sysex commands).
Note names and MIDI note numbers.

MIDI does not transmit an audio signal or media — it transmits "event messages" such as the pitch and intensity of musical notes to play, control signals for parameters such as volume, vibrato and panning, cues, and clock signals to set the tempo. As an electronic protocol, it is notable for its widespread adoption throughout the industry.
TC5 said on: 2008-12-12 10:09 pm
5607 Days, 7 Hrs, 54 Min, 20 Sec ago
Brutal Gladiator
Gladiator
Duelist
Rival
Challenger

Aderz said on: 2008-12-13 08:03 am
5606 Days, 22 Hrs, 14 Sec ago
Dang, I never seen a brutal gladiator =(