General Forum

Stocks 19 replies

Bosnian035 said on: 2009-06-10 10:29 am
5432 Days, 15 Hrs, 30 Min, 40 Sec ago
Hey is anyone into the stock market? i have a couple hundred killer plays from this email i been following for the past 10 months, and was wondering if people could give me some background on how investing with stocks works and all.. if anyone here even does?
Nataku said on: 2009-06-10 06:09 pm
5432 Days, 7 Hrs, 50 Min, 55 Sec ago
i know that uranium is a good investment, it's used fo military armour, shells(warheads)

and nuclear power for commercial purposes.
Bosnian035 said on: 2009-06-10 10:00 pm
5432 Days, 3 Hrs, 59 Min, 39 Sec ago
I dont need help in which stocks to pick. I need help knowing is there a way to do it without having to go through a bank or a broker.
AK47 said on: 2009-06-11 02:15 pm
5431 Days, 11 Hrs, 44 Min, 52 Sec ago

you have to go through a broker. whether its online (td ameritrade, scottstrade, etc) or an actual person/firm.

my advise to you is the most simple yet most overlooked.

NEVER base future success/failure of a stock based on past events. youll do yourself in if you do.

btw...i invest in TD when it was $26+ and now its at $52.03. also invested in Ford when it was like $1.80. now its at $5.98.

WOOOOO!!!!
Tommy_V said on: 2009-06-11 11:28 pm
5431 Days, 2 Hrs, 32 Min, 15 Sec ago
If you want help, I have a friend who knows everything there is to know about stocks.

He's only 19 and has made over $50,000 by doing nothing but using $100
Oracle said on: 2009-06-14 05:09 am
5428 Days, 20 Hrs, 51 Min, 7 Sec ago
lol.. yeah law requires you to go through a registered broker

as for your tips, did you check the performance? x_x

either way don't forget what the stock market is for.. it's to price companies based on performance, it's far too easy to be tricked into thinking it's other stuff lol

=x
SM-sHiNrYo said on: 2009-06-30 11:04 am
5412 Days, 14 Hrs, 56 Min, 14 Sec ago
If you really want to save money just register your self as a stock broker. I know in Australia if you make loses on the market you can claim those loses under work expenses.

Tommy_V most people can achieve that goal. Just invest into the small companies manage fund. It's been proven over time that if someone invest $50 into it they grand children will be millionares. However, the real fact there grand children would never get they money. Just think about it people rely there investments to be a supplement income when its a recession or depression. During a depression that $50 dollars would be worth $1. So they would be worst off.

I think really most people need to decide what type of investor are they. Short or long.

If there short I believe this is the time to get into the market. Most people should see the market goes up and down nearly everyday by a large amount and these are big companies. It's est that the Australia stock exchange make a recovery of 40%. After most market crashes most companies make a recovery of 40% because there companies are way undervalued.

The share price reflects the value of a company. You had companies like CBA(ASX) at $26 dollars paying the same 1 dollar interm dividend as when it was at $60.

If your a long term investor you would prefer a much more stable stock exchange and to buy into blue companies. Blue chip companies are define as companies that are not going to go bank corrupt in normal due course of business. You would be aiming for dividends and small captial gains.

Ironicly you had blue chip banks going bankcrupt because of the credit issues.

My best advice is always buy a porfiolo or managed fund (If you can't be bothered researching). You will always win a few, lose a few. Hopeful you win more then you lose.

If you really don't like risk you might want to try option trading. Allthought it cost you money it hedges against risk. Option gives you the right to buy or sell a share but not the obligation. However, you need to be pretty rich since options are based on 100s of shares.

[Added at 06/30/2009 12:05:47 by SM-sHiNrYo]
this site can give you the basic of shares. Please be aware that this is the Australia Stock Exchange. Some information may not be relevent.

http://www.asx.com.au/resources/education/classes/shares/index.htm
VoDkA said on: 2009-06-30 01:20 pm
5412 Days, 12 Hrs, 39 Min, 48 Sec ago
I made a few grand investing into Apple (AAPL) at the beginning of the year. Thanks to the recession!
Bosnian035 said on: 2009-06-30 02:19 pm
5412 Days, 11 Hrs, 41 Min, 25 Sec ago
Thanks for the info SM-Shinryo, that was very useful. :)
SM-sHiNrYo said on: 2009-07-01 08:24 am
5411 Days, 17 Hrs, 36 Min, 2 Sec ago
Well Vodka is right. If you were not in the market at the start of the year was the best time to make money. However, to people in the market the only word that can be said is big unhappy face.

You can still make money but not as much in a short period of time. I make 50% in about 2 weeks.

[Added at 07/01/2009 09:29:36 by SM-sHiNrYo]
Thats odd double post.
SM-sHiNrYo said on: 2009-07-01 08:24 am
5411 Days, 17 Hrs, 35 Min, 47 Sec ago
Well Vodka is right. If you were not in the market at the start of the year was the best time to make money. However, to people in the market the only word that can be said is big unhappy face.

You can still make money but not as much in a short period of time. I make 50% in about 2 weeks.
_ElessaR_ said on: 2009-07-03 11:44 am
5409 Days, 14 Hrs, 15 Min, 42 Sec ago
This thread has somehow awaken the investor potential in me, lol.

Anyway, I would like to start out by buying some stocks(directly from the company no broker involved). I heard I can do that through the companies' website.

Any ideas where and how I can actually buy stocks? Help me, hurhur :)
_ElessaR_ said on: 2009-07-03 11:46 am
5409 Days, 14 Hrs, 14 Min, 12 Sec ago
If any of you can recommend me companies that have stocks with the 'DRIP' option, please do tell me.
SM-sHiNrYo said on: 2009-07-07 01:52 am
5406 Days, 8 Minutes, 1 Second ago
Buying IPOs won't require a broker but in general you are buying shares from the stock market you will need a broker. You need a broker to sell your shares. If you work for the company they can offer you off the market shares but in general that doesn't happen.

There two types of brokers. Advisor and non-advisor brokers.

Online brokers are non-advisors and are cheaper to use. Generally they accept and buy shares for you. Usually done through contracts.

Advisors brokers are usually over the phone brokers. They don't charge for advice but do charge a higher brokage fee. If you ask me advisor brokers are a waste of time. Most companies provided both types of brokers.

My advice get as much information as you can about the company. More information you know the better your off. What I mean by information is what expectation of the companies future and current projects. If you know people inside the company its even better. You know eg. Survey for a mining company. CoftCoft this is kinda illegal but a lot of people do it.

If you have no idea about companies aim more for bigger well known companies or go for manage fund. It is true the return on smallers companies is higher but the risk is even higher. Generally small companies are looking aiming to get luck and bought over buy big companies. They generally wont rise in price unless a big company wants them.

Also buy companies that are closer to your risk expectation. Companies such as WallMart or retail generally are safer companies so they have lower risk and lower return.

Mining companies have higher risk so higher return. My advice is to buy a porfolio of mixed industries. This helps reduce risk. Also hedges against losses. Every year is differnet so every year differnet industries do well and some do badly.

Finally don't get to greedy and get a watch list(If you don't want to risk money but want to see how a company goes this is a good thing to have). Always have a cash reserve rather then putting it all into the stock market. Stocks require time to give return. When it crashes you have to wait to get that return. Untill then you need money to support your self.

[Added at 07/07/2009 02:54:43 by SM-sHiNrYo]
On a side note. What is a 'DRIP' option?

I've only heard of short/long put or call options.

I don't buy options because you need a decent sum of money. I think American options are in 100s of units.
Bbrooks said on: 2009-07-07 11:58 am
5405 Days, 14 Hrs, 2 Min, 14 Sec ago
Dividend reinvestment plan, where instead of paying you cash for dividends or capital gains, they buy more shares in you account
R-ave-N said on: 2009-07-07 11:55 pm
5405 Days, 2 Hrs, 5 Min, 17 Sec ago
LOUD VOICES!!!
Jing said on: 2009-07-08 04:16 am
5404 Days, 21 Hrs, 43 Min, 53 Sec ago
Oh my gawd!
I actually laughed!
*Pounds table madly while trying to muffle his laughter*
PFC-Hepburn said on: 2009-07-08 06:51 am
5404 Days, 19 Hrs, 9 Min, 21 Sec ago
I love lamp!
SM-sHiNrYo said on: 2009-07-10 11:12 pm
5402 Days, 2 Hrs, 47 Min, 49 Sec ago
Lucky Bs2e isn't in Australia.

If you did something like that you go to jail for at least 110 years.

You actually go to jail for less time if you shoot someone.

Btw there two types of Dividend Reinvestment Plans. There Bonus shares and Dividend Reinvestment Plans. I haven't seen many bonus shares lately. However, I've seen around about $A90bn raised in the secondary market (secondary market is when a company is already on the stock market and wants to raise more captial) in about a month.
Bosnian035 said on: 2009-07-22 07:45 pm
5390 Days, 6 Hrs, 15 Min, 16 Sec ago
lol people go to jail for 2 years sometimes for shooting someone...