General Forum

The Hobbit 15 replies

Superman said on: 2012-12-03 02:37 am
4162 Days, 17 Hrs, 56 Min, 40 Sec ago
I was talking to buddy and I didn't believe him Elijah Wood was gonna be playing in it.

I was like wtf.. Frodo aint in the hobbit.

But I guess he's narrating story. So he just tells it cause he's the one of the three that finish the book. Meh, guess it works.

Thought I'd share if you were wondering, wtf...

What blows my mind is three movies... Wow.
Did well, they can afford a good budget. =P
Hope they went all out on the dragon..

Good book, I can see it being done good.

Red (Tester) said on: 2012-12-03 06:14 am
4162 Days, 14 Hrs, 19 Min, 36 Sec ago
Done well. :)
DannyFo (Mod) said on: 2012-12-03 06:35 am
4162 Days, 13 Hrs, 59 Min, 9 Sec ago
Nice Red =P
Serv said on: 2012-12-03 06:51 am
4162 Days, 13 Hrs, 42 Min, 57 Sec ago
I heard they also put a fight scene between Gandalf and the necromancer in there which is stupid since it wasn't part of the book.

Guess they needed more hollywood action scenes :/
SilverSurfer said on: 2012-12-04 09:36 am
4161 Days, 10 Hrs, 58 Min, 20 Sec ago
At first I was thinking that maybe 3 movies was a bit much for the one book, but given that the movies usually leave a lot out, it may be able to be more accurate and detailed in this case.
Superman said on: 2012-12-04 01:23 pm
4161 Days, 7 Hrs, 10 Min, 58 Sec ago
Yeah the thing about the hobbit...

Is you wished it could of been longer.. And it is, when you think of it included with the other three lotr books.

I found the hobbit to be my favorite of them all... Gets you into the Tolkien world. So much excitement.

Bilbo Baggins was an awesome main character...
Personally I like him alot more then Frodo... Frodo was a pussy throughout lotr.. You see Bilbo has some balls in the Hobbit. But he's still a hobbit. lol

Doesnt really get boring, from what I remember, though it has been quite a number of years since I read it. It has many memorable parts in it. That I can see being made into good scenes.

Serv- I know what you mean. I guess adding good fight scenes is whats gonna make it a trilogy with all that extra content.

But I do know, I got bored in parts with the lotr... That detailed chapter. Dont get me wrong Tolkien did awesome writing with the chapter...

Just omg... Hobbit got me right into it... and got me to read LOTR. I have to say the story started off the best. And it started with THE HOBBIT.

I wanted to go watch it Saturday... but I got bowling tournament... Eight games. OMG>...
Serv said on: 2012-12-04 02:21 pm
4161 Days, 6 Hrs, 12 Min, 40 Sec ago
I wouldn't say he was a pussy. Sure in the movies he was a winy brat, but I wouldn't say I got that impression from the book.

When he agreed to take the ring to Mordor, he knew it was a one way trip. Especially after Gandalf fell in Moria. Never mind the fact that the Ring was an enormous toll and he was constantly fighting the urge to wear it (and reveal his location to Sauron). Oh and remember that time when he left all his friends (except Samwise, who is too smart for his own good) behind because he didn't want to drag them on a one way suicide mission to the scariest place in the world?

Sounds like a hobbit with balls of steel to me.
DannyFo (Mod) said on: 2012-12-04 03:09 pm
4161 Days, 5 Hrs, 25 Min, 22 Sec ago
Yeah the issue with Frodo wasn't the character, but rather the actor who played him. I hate, HATE, Elijah Woods, and had they cast ANYONE else in the entire world, the movie would have been better off.
SilverSurfer said on: 2012-12-04 03:14 pm
4161 Days, 5 Hrs, 19 Min, 24 Sec ago
Nothing wrong with Frodo in my books. But yeah, Bilbo is a much more interesting character, and the hobbit for me had a much better flow to it then the rest as well.
Superman said on: 2012-12-04 11:32 pm
4160 Days, 21 Hrs, 1 Min, 29 Sec ago
Yeah. I agree he had quite the toll.
Ring is some powerful crack.

And yeah, Elijah made Frodo out to be a pussy. But it fit, pussy he was. lol...

Frodo just gained courage throughout the LOTR. When compared to Sam-wise, the one with big balls. Sam handled the ring like a champ. Even when Frodo dissed him and was a prick, always thinking about himself with the ring.

Thinking Sam was out for the ring, thats mainly why he wanted them all gone. I understand you gotta give frodo props, for handlin it and throwin it away. But he always wanted to do something like Bilbo too. His journey. Ring was like crack to Frodo, and Bilbo. Frodo through it away cause he didnt wanna end up like Gollum. lol
Serv said on: 2012-12-05 08:09 am
4160 Days, 12 Hrs, 25 Min, 13 Sec ago
His suspicions that Sam wanted the Ring wasn't until much later when they were getting very close to Mordor. By that point the Ring had already corrupted him. He didn't leave the fellowship because he though they wanted the Ring. He left it specifically to save them the burden of following him into doom (or at least that's my recollection of the book).

Frodo wore the Ring for months and months. Look at the Ringwraiths for a good example of what even rings of lesser power will do to you. The one Ring corrupted and ate away at Frodos soul and by the time they reached Mordor there wasn't much left of the original Frodo. He still persisted on however.

I wouldn't say Frodo gained courage throughout the book. I'd say he always had it. Think of the meeting of Elrond. Here are all these warriors (and a wizard!) fighting over who should take the Ring and Frodo volunteers to take the darned thing to the last place on Middle Earth where anyone wants to go. Even though no-one asked him too. He could've settled down in Rivendell with Bilbo and lived happily ever after (well, until Sauron knocks on the door, at least).

Samwise was the one that gained courage. He had never left the Shire. He led a sheltered life in comfort. He was afraid and in awe of the outside world, but his love and loyalty towards Frodo made him one of the bravest characters during the third age of Middle Earth. But it was a pretty long journey to get there.

[Added at 12/05/2012 08:30:29 by Serv]
Weathertop and the Ford of Bruinen is probably the best example of Frodos courage. In the movie he was a total pussy about it. In the book he stabs the ringwraith at Weathertop rather than cowering in a corner, while at the Ford of Bruinen he turns around and tell them to piss off. After he had already been stabbed by one of them.

Doesn't sound like a pussy to me ;)
Superman said on: 2012-12-16 01:42 am
4149 Days, 18 Hrs, 52 Min, 22 Sec ago
Peter Jackson has done it again!

Elijah wood/Frodo Baggins is in it, just a scene from lotr kind of thing. Nothing bad. Serv- Frodo baggins is awesome. He is the main character of the lotr, and I loved the books. You remember alot more then I do. Just been 10+ years since I read them. You do remind of how great of a character he is.

Watch Hobbit in 3D. I liked it alot.
Gandalf is awesome, and dwarves are very entertaining.

DannyFo (Mod) said on: 2012-12-16 10:51 pm
4148 Days, 21 Hrs, 43 Min, 4 Sec ago
I honestly haven't been this let down by a movie in a long time =/ Just saw it tonight and I'm very disappointed.
Oracle said on: 2012-12-17 05:01 am
4148 Days, 15 Hrs, 32 Min, 48 Sec ago
G/Bilbo
SilverSurfer said on: 2012-12-17 08:15 pm
4148 Days, 18 Minutes, 47 Seconds ago
I've seen/heard a lot of bad AND good reviews for this one. It seems to be quite up in the air and up to each persons preference on how good or bad it is, so I guess it's definitely one of those movies you have to decide for youself.. If you're up to the 160+ min run time.
Ilidan said on: 2012-12-19 08:47 am
4146 Days, 11 Hrs, 46 Min, 53 Sec ago
Things that need to be pointed out:
1. Bilbo was never truly corrupted by the Ring. That means his balls are made of infinitely more steel than anyone else who ever held it. Sauron included.

2. Frodo never threw away the ring. He failed in his mission. To those who forgot: The Ring was ultimately destroyed by GOLLUM, not Frodo.

3. Elijah Wood definitely did not do the character justice. Frodo was far more kickass than he made him seem.

4. Sam was awesome. NEVER hate on Sam. Sam was a simple gardener who didn't even want to take the trip, and only went because Gandalf made him promise to help Frodo. He then took on a group of Orcs single-handedly to rescue Frodo, even when in truth he should have carried on alone - he had no reason to believe that Frodo was KEPT alive after capture.

5. The Hobbit was originally written in three sections when Tolkien first sent it to his son. This is where the breaks in the movies will be.

I have not seen the Hobbit yet, but I am looking forward.
It was filmed with a much faster camera, so it won't "look" like a movie on the big screen.

[Added at 12/21/2012 09:49:12 by Ilidan]
Addendum to 1:
Bilbo began his stewardship of the Ring with mercy and pity, but not slaying Gollum. In the end this decision is what led to the rings destruction.

Some would argue, and have, that this is why Bilbo was never corrupted by the Ring.