Nations Forum

D.E.M.O.N Criteria 22 replies

Oracle said on: 2009-01-12 10:29 am
5588 Days, 4 Hrs, 43 Min, 35 Sec ago
After a bit of discussion with Guild and Sam I've come to a conclusion of what I think a D.E.M.O.N player really is:

A player who's term in Nations stood for what Nations is all about :)

It's subjective, but I think D.E.M.O.N members know what I'm talking about
GuildaMage said on: 2009-01-12 10:31 am
5588 Days, 4 Hrs, 41 Min, 15 Sec ago
*shrugs*

I still say its mostly a popularity contest.

I mean, most of the players in Demon dont actually fit the "name".
Deano-Wales said on: 2009-01-12 11:35 am
5588 Days, 3 Hrs, 37 Min, 1 Sec ago
"I still say its mostly a popularity contest."

And who have I EVER been popular with?
Tommy_V said on: 2009-01-12 11:42 am
5588 Days, 3 Hrs, 30 Min, 13 Sec ago
Me? The Vikings?
ShadyKnight (Mod) said on: 2009-01-12 02:19 pm
5588 Days, 53 Minutes, 45 Seconds ago
Can't people just drop this?
Murdock86 said on: 2009-01-12 02:55 pm
5588 Days, 17 Minutes, 25 Seconds ago
Yeah how many threads?
Moonshine said on: 2009-01-12 03:56 pm
5587 Days, 23 Hrs, 16 Min, 51 Sec ago
This whole demon stuff has gone too far. I think its good to have this group. For the loyal players of nations. But seriously, what can you do to earn your way into Demon? Do i have too make a local commercial to get in? is that the contribution nessecary? Should i hand out flyers. Point im trying to make is theres really not many ways to better nations/netnexus other than playing the game. Its a simple game. the name of the game is to finish with the highest tech possible, wheather you have to war to do it or not. Getting into demon should be based on in game performance. If your looking for the guy who contributes the most to the site, then you have to say sal and goliath, and sals not even in it. Your time playing the game and your stats should be the bar. thats my 2 cents.
Breakyourself said on: 2009-01-12 06:19 pm
5587 Days, 20 Hrs, 53 Min, 3 Sec ago
i vote deano! cuz hes popular!
ILLiCiT said on: 2009-01-12 06:58 pm
5587 Days, 20 Hrs, 14 Min, 25 Sec ago
Making criteria defeats the purpose of DEMON. The point is that not everyone gets in. It's an exclusive HONOR meant to HONOR those who have contributed in some fundamental way to how Nations is today, or those who are iconic players. Most of the people on the DEMON list are f'king legends. It's like asking who the greatest Americans are...Lincoln, Franklin, Edison, etc. They don't really have anything in common other than their fame. They've contributed massively to society in one way or another, whether it's immediately evident in our daily lives or not. What if that list was changed so that everyone who met certain criteria was included? The big problem there is that not everyone who is worthy of being on the list will meet those criteria. What if you set a "time actively doing crazy good stuff" clause? Lincoln's out. He was President for just a few years. His big achievement occurred days before his death. The DEMON list, with a couple exceptions, is comprised to players whose names are legend around here. You can't find an objective common denominator between them and say that's the criteria. Greatness takes many forms. When an idea meets legislation and regulation, it generally goes to licoln log . That's what's happening here. I don't recall previous postings about DEMON inciting such petty jealously among you non-DEMON losers before. Now you're all twinkle because you weren't listed, and trying to force DEMON to accept new members on the basis of meeting some arbitrary accomplishments. And what happens if DEMON is changed so that anybody with a couple of ranked rounds and a member ID of less than 10000 is accepted? DEMON becomes meaningless. It's like a 500 post club or a 1000 post club. It's no longer unique and you've ruined something great with your politically correct everyone's a winner affirmative action bullshit.

[Added at 01/12/2009 19:00:12 by ILLiCiT]
twinkle = bitching
ShadyKnight (Mod) said on: 2009-01-12 07:58 pm
5587 Days, 19 Hrs, 14 Min, 14 Sec ago
*APPLAUDS ROB*

Well said.
Moonshine said on: 2009-01-12 10:23 pm
5587 Days, 16 Hrs, 49 Min, 46 Sec ago
The members in demon are legends because they were here a long long time ago and other members are because they have been here forever.

"It's an exclusive HONOR meant to HONOR those who have contributed in some fundamental way to how Nations is today,"

How do you contribute exactly? I mean you go out of your way obviously....make a guide? which has been done. I dont get what people so special do FOR the game other than PLAY it. Basically if you play for a long time and have some success, then your considered to become a member. Im not jealous that im not in it, nor does it bother me one bit. But everyone is saying..special contributions this special that. You get on, do your turns, talk in the chat, post in the forums. The only special contribution ive seen was sal/goliath(other than admins). Maybe by special you mean someone always has a nice attitude or something..i dunno. i need some examples of special contributions. All i can think of is making a guide and perhaps a clan that teaches players. Im all for DEMON, am i no way at all anti-demon man, i just think there should be a bar to reach for acceptance other than making "Special contributions" which ive yet to see someone say what those exist of. It should be how you do in the game and how you manner yourself with other players. Perhaps some members in DEMON should share what they have done special for the game. I rarely talk about subjects brought up in the forums, but this is interesting. And in about 2 days, im gonna forget about it.
ILLiCiT said on: 2009-01-12 10:51 pm
5587 Days, 16 Hrs, 21 Min, 3 Sec ago
No no no no no.

It's SUBJECTIVE on a CASE BY CASE basis. Why would there be a vanilla ice ice baby DEMON training clan? It's like how do you be cool...by not caring. You get in DEMON for not deliberately doing good stuff just to be recognized. Who cares if, idk, Mdevilz didn't do as much as Goliath. He still must have been thought of as being worthy of being in DEMON by whoever voted him in. It's a feeling, not a fact, that gets you in. It's like anything big in life: your bf/gf/wife/husband, your car, your house. You don't choose those based on a list of numbers and facts saying so and so is the best choice. It's how you feel that matters. Understand?
Krautkiller44 said on: 2009-01-12 11:50 pm
5587 Days, 15 Hrs, 22 Min, 25 Sec ago
"It's like anything big in life: your bf/gf/wife/husband, your car, your house. You don't choose those based on a list of numbers and facts saying so and so is the best choice. It's how you feel that matters. Understand? "

i get what u mean but actually people do choose stuff based on numbers on facts. in every day life. same as me. i like my gf's with big boobs, should i name the size? if i bought the car itd be based off what car is the safest and fuel efficient. my house too. so yeayh bad analogy.
Kekido2006 said on: 2009-01-13 06:39 am
5587 Days, 8 Hrs, 33 Min, 48 Sec ago
this whole thing seems dumb to me.....
DannyFo (Mod) said on: 2009-01-13 07:23 am
5587 Days, 7 Hrs, 49 Min, 22 Sec ago
Okay guys. I'm really tired of seeing this topic continuously happening every year.

Facts:

- This is not a popularity contest.

- I do not and have not nominated anyone into DEMON since it started.

- Originally when I started DEMON I made a post asking the community to nominate any number of people they thought deserved to be in DEMON. At the end of that I made a high council with three members of our community that had been here from the begining and up till that point had been active most of the time. We took the list that had all the nominations and we voted on them. In order to get into DEMON it had to be unanimous. A lot of people were turned away because one of the high council was a little too elitest.

- The second drafting of an inductees list we decided to make it a 2 out of 3 voting system. A lot more people got through. But we began worrying that if we continued on that path there would be every member of the community in DEMON eventually and we wanted to make it more of a HoF that people were actually excited to be invited to.

- The third and fourth time we inducted people into DEMON we only invited one person.

- The last time we invited only one person in was Cronus. But then I began thinking that if we only invite one person a year, people would be upset because they wouldn't ever have a chance to get in.

- The inductees after that we asked Cronus to nominate someone, and korgy, and I both nominated a person. Those were gi_joe nominated by me, thruster nominated by cronus, and I believe it was stormbringer nominated by korgy. Something like that.

- That still didn't set right so thats why I did my "calling all DEMON members" post so that we could do it as a vote system through all of the members and pick the top 3 voted in based on how they played the game AND how they did in the community. (I'm working on a mailing list for all of them to be able to get each and every one of their opinions, but we want to make sure we are getting the votes of the active members of DEMON so that we CAN get new blood in.)

Yes I believe there are a lot of people that deserve to be in DEMON. A ton have been listed here. And if I could just throw them on the list I would, but that wouldn't be fair. Its a matter of 3 people per year getting invited. I can't control who the members decide to nominate.

And as far as people who havn't been here in 5 years getting nominated I just have one thing to say...In baseball do you get in the HoF right when you set a record? No it happens several years later probably when you are old as heck or even dead.

I realize this hasn't been the most organized thing in the world. But several years ago people wanted some sort of recognition for players so I made it and kept up with it. Each and every year I do this and I'm sick of people complaining.

So just accept the nominations because they are or were very good people and very important parts of this community at one point in time and deserve this. Don't take it away from them.

Sorry for my wall of text.
GuildaMage said on: 2009-01-13 08:52 am
5587 Days, 6 Hrs, 20 Min, 19 Sec ago
Danny- im not arguing that the players selected arent worthy of being in Demon. In fact, im not really arguing at all, just stating my opinion.

Its my understanding that in the last few years no players were selected for Demon, imo any inactive players should have simply been predated to those years so that for a recent demon selection you could have had all active players, since, and im sure most everyone agrees with me, there are plenty of players to choose from.

Just my 2 cents, and the last time ill be posting about this topic. =)
TinaMiaz said on: 2009-01-13 11:47 am
5587 Days, 3 Hrs, 25 Min, 49 Sec ago
Stooooopid. Wait, what's the point again? It's the internets...
Tommy_V said on: 2009-01-13 12:15 pm
5587 Days, 2 Hrs, 57 Min, 30 Sec ago
^ Agreed.

I mean, who the f cares? Think about it. It's really just a virtual grouping of "users" on a website.

And, if the way some people were selected to be inducted agitates you that much, then make your own group and f off. Otherwise, close your mouth or tie your hands and live with the fact that you can't change how people were selected in the past or get in in the future because in the end it doesn't really matter. How much of an impact will it have on you? Seriously.

If you think you contributed to Nations or NetNexus then you should be suffice with the fact that you know you did something to help. Nowadays, few have the will, patience, or perseverance needed to be truly respected. If respect is all you're after, understand that respect is earned, not given.

[Insert quote on Don's reference about "being cool"]

All this argument over something as silly as this is just outright ridiculous...
GuildaMage said on: 2009-01-13 12:34 pm
5587 Days, 2 Hrs, 38 Min, 9 Sec ago
/me humps tommy then slits his own wrists

THATS HOW MUCH IMPACT IT HAS ON ME!!!!

Lol. <3
Tommy_V said on: 2009-01-13 01:09 pm
5587 Days, 2 Hrs, 3 Min, 19 Sec ago
*steals Guilda's lunch money*
GuildaMage said on: 2009-01-13 03:48 pm
5586 Days, 23 Hrs, 24 Min, 19 Sec ago
:'(
AK47 said on: 2009-01-13 07:02 pm
5586 Days, 20 Hrs, 10 Min, 20 Sec ago

great post danny! you basically summed it up for everyone! with that said....

AK47 FOR PRESIDENT!!!
=]
Tommy_V said on: 2009-01-13 08:11 pm
5586 Days, 19 Hrs, 1 Min, 14 Sec ago
A gun for president?

The Naked Gun maybe, but not an AK :P