Terran Legacy Forum

Advancing...? 8 replies

Covaysh said on: 2011-09-27 04:51 am
4589 Days, 2 Minutes, 7 Seconds ago
How is it possible to advance through the ranks quickly? I mean, I was happy with my Goliath Mech Armor, thinking it would keep me well and fine until a rank or two past Corporal (where I am now).

Apparently that's not the case, and I switched to a Level 3 ES. Which...isn't that much more helpful and from what I remember, it's the best armor in the game. I'd like to buy that armor that gives me 75, but once I manage to get 9.5 mil, the Energy Shield is much more useful from what I remember.

The only other alternative I can think of is saving up 14k for the Eh. Vulcan and hoping that will do enough damage to kill things easily without me running away every time I see a L2 Dragoon. The only other weapons of course being 2.5mil and higher and I can't even dream of them....(huge gap)

What should I do to not run away/die as much and advance in rank without fearing for even tougher enemies? =/

Covaysh said on: 2011-09-27 07:14 am
4588 Days, 21 Hrs, 38 Min, 27 Sec ago
Alright, I read through some of the threads and came to the conclusion that I either need access to my old account, donations of several millions to get weapons to advance easier or finally, to grind for 24 hours per day for the next year before I can afford it myself.

Also armor wise, I'm still confused on if to keep on with my L3ES or go for the pure armors like Goliath Mech Armor or whatever for the lower levels.
Covaysh said on: 2011-09-28 02:09 am
4588 Days, 2 Hrs, 43 Min, 33 Sec ago
yes, yes, this reads like the diary of a newb, but anyways.

Out of boredom and curiosity, I decided to advance another two ranks to Staff Sergeant. While I had problems as a Corporal, the hp increases give me some more lasting power, plus the hp items let me save money on hospital (yes, I use it, despite the advice otherwise).

I'm debating if to go beyond this as well, since I still have some leftover exp...but for now, I'll just rack up some money so I can easily afford the life increase, plus heck, who knows, I might find a Shield Generator! =D

I'm still trying to figure out what rank will be best for me to stay at, and grind, so I can afford the million dollar weapons...for now, I'll stick here, at least until I'm at 50k or something, I dunno.

[Added at 09/28/2011 03:12:00 by Covaysh]
EDIT

Note to self: Facing L3Dragoons is not a smart idea. Everything else appears to be safe so far...

[Added at 09/28/2011 04:09:04 by Covaysh]
Huh. The same enemies that killed me before when I was a 1000hp Staff Sergeant, do a few hundred at most as a 2000hp Master Sergeat...is there like a damage/power hit reduction of enemies from previous ranks as you go along?

[Added at 09/28/2011 11:17:56 by Covaysh]
Ok, how the heck is it, that I can dominate everything in Sergeant Major and still die to everything.

I've died to a level 4 Hydralisk once
Like a couple of Level 4 Wraiths and some Level 3 dragoons..and the odd wounded ones.

The Dragoons, maybe I can understand...every battle I walk away 700 hp lower...but the rest, they don't compare. On average I lose a few hundred at best to the other enemies (except for the hydra) and somehow they can TKO me at full hp?! WTF!
Covaysh said on: 2011-09-29 12:43 am
4587 Days, 4 Hrs, 9 Min, 51 Sec ago
Well I finally my first million. Depending on my attention span, I might even grind enough to go up to 10mil to afford the Flak Gun today. That should definitely help.

Still waiting for my luck in items other than stimpacks and lottery tickets though...

This game is definitely as entertaining as I remember. But I do echo the sentiments of people that without a more vibrant community, I'll likely quit once I get the Ionic Blaster. Well maybe, I dunno, we'll see.

Also, come on, I see you guys viewing my thread! Respond, say something! What about my old account, is it possible to salvage it?! Not like it matters, at the rate you guys don't reply it should be at the strength of my old one. :P

[Added at 09/29/2011 04:03:27 by Covaysh]
Yay, found a +5 Assisted Scope! Better than nothing, I guess, especially while I'm still using the Eh. Vulcan, I need every point of damage I can take. There's also a +8 one, no?

I'm sure once I can afford the Flak Cannon, I'll abandon it for the stim packs...sure they'll be a bit useless...but honestly saving a 750hp in hospital costs seems to better than +5. I think...I'll decide that later.

[Added at 09/29/2011 07:33:42 by Covaysh]
Note to all you people...stop at Lieutenant. It's a great spot to kill mindless and wrack up cash until you can afford the Multi-Cannon or the Flak Cannon...actually because of stupidity in going up to Commander I am considering wasting the 2.5mil for the Multi-Cannon for better staying power until I can better take care of the overminds and go for the Flak latter.

In short.

Eh VulcanX3 = Great until Lieutenant. After that...UPGRADE!
Alwaysbored said on: 2011-09-29 09:58 pm
4586 Days, 6 Hrs, 55 Min, 22 Sec ago
SO. MANY. QUESTIONS.

I'm too lazy to re-read everything, so I'll just answer everything I remember:

IIRC, Assisted Scope > Stim Packs. Stim packs suck! Healing sucks! It's much better to just deposit all your money and die. It's easier, cheaper, and this way you'll at least gain profit.

I'm not sure about the critical damage rates, but yeah most enemies with a high base damage will crit ridiculously high which is what pretty much kills you in one [until death] attack. The range of enemies is pretty ridiculous from zealots which are pretty much free kills to overminds which will destroy you once they crit.

Personally, I just ranked up ASAP whenever I could. If I ran into an overmind or something though, I just flee'ed until I had some decent money for some decent gear.

[Added at 09/29/2011 22:58:58 by Alwaysbored]
Did I really just spell "fled" as "flee'ed"?

Fail english!
Covaysh said on: 2011-09-30 12:30 am
4586 Days, 4 Hrs, 23 Min, 23 Sec ago
hehe, true. I no longer use the hospital.

Also, once I realized how high my HP goes up each rank, stimpacks did become useless. I did get lucky and find an SSG. I also found a Poor Rejuvinator, but I spent so much time looking up its new hp rate, that the item disappeared when I was curious to pick it up and replace my Assisted Scope.

Also, stupid overminds! Playing this game while sleepy is a sin...I usually bank every 200k, and slammed into one. So sad. :(

[Added at 09/30/2011 05:25:21 by Covaysh]
4.5mil, another 5 to go.

Also, which armor is better? L3 Energy Shield or Goliath v2 armor?

I mean the latter claims an armor of 75 and the other one, at least halves damage...why should I use the Goliath armor, when at higher levles, halving is superior?
Covaysh said on: 2011-10-02 12:56 pm
4583 Days, 15 Hrs, 56 Min, 47 Sec ago
Out of curiosity, I decided to advance again and am now a Captain. I should've stuck in Commander.

DO NOT UPGRADE PAST SERGEANT MAJOR OR COMMANDER WITHOUT THE FLAK RIFLE! OR MAYBE MULTI-CANNON!

RAWRRRRRRRR

That's all for now, folks. :)
Alwaysbored said on: 2011-10-03 10:32 pm
4582 Days, 6 Hrs, 20 Min, 59 Sec ago
As far as I know, the Goliath V2 armour is the best until (if) new ones are implemented.

I know, I know... the energy shield "should" be better, but if I'm not mistaken it doesn't actually halve the damage taken.
Armando_Bond said on: 2012-08-18 06:32 am
4262 Days, 22 Hrs, 20 Min, 47 Sec ago
What Energy shield does is exactly the same as GMS v2. L3 ES would block off 20 damage 1st then reduce the rest of the damage to half. Though it does not state clearly, GMS v2 also does the same thing. It fends off 75 damage & half the rest of it.

In high rankings, creatures deal ridiculous damages to you therefore it does make sense why a good armor like L3 ES cost $10,000 only but GMS v2 cost so much higher ($8,732,500) w/o reducing the damage by half.

If you did try it out, GMS v2 actually works this way.

General James Bond 007
Credits $1004811.00
Bank $100034186.00
Health (538056/889534)
Weapon Flak Cannon
Armor Goliath Mech Suit V2
Item Biological Reassembler [?] [drop]
Exp. 8716221084/9163294561
Kills 22310-0