WaR2: New Horizons Forum

Botting 40 replies

TheSource (Admin) said on: 2008-01-02 09:19 am
5952 Days, 15 Hrs, 27 Min, 28 Sec ago
Botting *IS* a bannable offense from this point forward. Anyone caught doing so *WILL* be banned.
An anti-bot measure will be implemented soon.
Chargg said on: 2008-01-02 02:02 pm
5952 Days, 10 Hrs, 45 Min, 11 Sec ago
Okay, botting is banned, how about attacking the same mob over and over because it gives guaranteed exp and you never die? :) And for the record, I don't pick up rat teeth because they suck for selling. Who really cares for 13 more gold when that's just 2 kills and it takes you an extra click to do that? Just useless. Blah.
TheSource (Admin) said on: 2008-01-02 02:13 pm
5952 Days, 10 Hrs, 33 Min, 46 Sec ago
Attacking the same mob over and over is fine, and I couldnt care less if you picked up the rats teeth. Botting is the only issue, and I know it was done. But honestly, attacking the rat for hours will only get you so far =P
Chargg said on: 2008-01-02 03:18 pm
5952 Days, 9 Hrs, 28 Min, 48 Sec ago
Well, level 26 in less than a day, at least. :)

[Added at 01/02/2008 16:27:03 by Chargg]
That, and if you remember, we were discussing whether or not it was possible. Can we accept that, while not permissible, it's still very possible? ;)
Crlaozwyn said on: 2008-01-02 03:28 pm
5952 Days, 9 Hrs, 19 Min, 14 Sec ago
Is the "Don't refresh cheater" message supposed to be a bot thing? I've been killing the drunken peasent (should be peasant, btw :p) for a few hours and started getting this message.
Chargg said on: 2008-01-02 03:49 pm
5952 Days, 8 Hrs, 58 Min, 21 Sec ago
Happens if you attack a dead mob... usually comes up for me when I get a crit hit and accidentally attack one time too many (stupid clickings). If you click REALLY slowly, it won't accuse you of being a naughty person. ;) Otherwise, you get irregular warnings.
Crlaozwyn said on: 2008-01-06 11:32 am
5948 Days, 13 Hrs, 14 Min, 48 Sec ago
Maybe I'm just slightly paranoid (being perpetually passed by people who seem to come out of the blue), but it seems that botting has once again (and already) taken over the game. While it wouldn't be unreasonable for someone to gain 70K exp overnight, I haven't actually been keeping track of people's exp and the actual gain is in my estimation much closer to 150K exp. This game will be a tough sell if the top10 is basically a list of people who cheat.

TheSource - when you get a chance, I'd like to talk to you about implementing some new security members to cut down on botting/cheating.
Guardian said on: 2008-01-06 02:33 pm
5948 Days, 10 Hrs, 13 Min, 52 Sec ago
Well, I have yet to bot and I find that as long as you have a good connection you can level quite fast, but hey, I have played this game for a bit and know how to calculate the best xp for the time for the most part, (that and I had a hell of a lot of time to kill at work the day I first found out WaR2 had started again)

[Added at 01/06/2008 15:36:31 by Guardian]
Btw, I have always felt that botting took all the fun out of games, even in game that just take a lot of time clicking hence the "I have yet to bot" as it is in regards to I have yet to bot in my life.
GuildaMage said on: 2008-01-07 12:15 pm
5947 Days, 12 Hrs, 31 Min, 47 Sec ago
Character(lvl) Experience
1. Relamir(50) 632148
2. TheNewGuy(45) 469811
3. Pellinor(42) 372832

Man, i wish i could jump up 45 and 50 levels in one sitting.
Crlaozwyn said on: 2008-01-07 01:33 pm
5947 Days, 11 Hrs, 13 Min, 51 Sec ago
I can vouch that these aren't in one sitting - I've been watching actually (surprise!). If they're botting, they turn the bot off sometimes. TheNewGuy appeared first, making a jump up to over 200K when Pelinor was at about 160K (if memory serves). When I was watching, he gained 75 exp every 10-15 seconds, meaning either he was actually playing when I was watching or his bot allows you to set a random interval between clicks. Relamir was even lest tactful, jumping to over 300K the first time I saw him. He also manages to gain 55 exp almost exactly every 3 seconds.

Now, it's possible that both of these players are legitimate - all it would take is a very dedicated, very bored gamer on a very very fast internet connection. I don't have the tools or info enough to say anything conclusively. However, I'd really appreciate an admin looking into it (and yes, I've submitted a help ticket).

[Added at 01/07/2008 14:34:25 by Crlaozwyn]
1. Relamir(51) 660500
2. TheNewGuy(46) 490436
3. Pellinor(42) 372832

Their new stats. I'll calculate how much they've gained :)

[Added at 01/07/2008 14:40:31 by Crlaozwyn]
They've both stopped gaining exp... how surprising! They must've both just gotten tired of clicking (randomly of course) about the same time someone accused them of botting. In any case, Relamir gained about 28K and TheNewGuy about 20K. Since I don't know when they stopped, I can't calculate how fast they were going.
GuildaMage said on: 2008-01-07 02:20 pm
5947 Days, 10 Hrs, 26 Min, 47 Sec ago
Lol, you do realize that they dont need bots, any idiot can use macros.
Guardian said on: 2008-01-07 04:13 pm
5947 Days, 8 Hrs, 33 Min, 38 Sec ago
Relamir here

As for why I was leveling quite quickly, yes I didn't have much to do during the weekend and was bored + have a good connection, and since I work tuesday til friday with the possibility that I am really busy during those days, I had to try my best at leveling as high as I can get so that I have a good chance at staying at the top 3 until the beta closes so I can at least say that I got something custom :P

And yes, it took a while at first to regain the muscle memory I had gained a whole long ways back when WaR2 first started.

Go ahead and have the admins check on me, since I know that I am playing legit anyways

[Added at 01/07/2008 17:14:57 by Guardian]
I really wish the chat was added in already since that would make the game more fun, even at the expense of slowing down leveling, I would still prefer that.

[Added at 01/07/2008 17:17:58 by Guardian]
Oh, just noticed that you accused me of botting just short of outright, just so you know, I am at school and every once in a while I am trying to add my class I need to graduate by this quarter's end. That and I had reached a number that I felt was decent enough to look at while in the charts, so I went and read a bit of manga (Hunter X Hunter for those that want to know which anyways) before so I don't completely burn out my motivation to play again when the real game starts up again :P

[Added at 01/07/2008 17:28:50 by Guardian]
Btw, Just in case you think I am trying to get out of getting checked or something, I am going now to get ready to try to add the class I need, now that I got my 'really nice looking' xp count, (The class time of the one I did register for is bad for my work schedule so I am trying to get one that is much more preferable) I will probably be back later tonight (3-4 hrs later) to level a little bit more though if an admin wants to actually confirm that I am not botting and whatnot, just let me know
Crlaozwyn said on: 2008-01-07 05:12 pm
5947 Days, 7 Hrs, 34 Min, 59 Sec ago
Alright. So let's set the record straight then, shall we? No one who does well in this game uses a bot, ever. In fact, by pure virtue of having high exp you must not be using a bot. I do know/remember Guardian somewhat from before, so he's obviously not using a bot. Everyone else has a reason too, so let's just forget that bots exist. Yaay! Everyone is honest, what a relief *wipes sweat from forehead* Here I was, thinking that people sometimes lie or cheat. Silly me.
Guardian said on: 2008-01-07 06:34 pm
5947 Days, 6 Hrs, 12 Min, 40 Sec ago
Heh, I didnt say that you had to agree with me, but as is, I know as a fact that I do not bot, so like i said, the admins can give it their all, I have nothing to hide :P
Red (Tester) said on: 2008-01-07 08:51 pm
5947 Days, 3 Hrs, 55 Min, 46 Sec ago
WOWOWOW ITS GRAMMAR FEST HERE KTHX
Crlaozwyn said on: 2008-01-07 09:50 pm
5947 Days, 2 Hrs, 57 Min, 15 Sec ago
I do find it somewhat disgusting that people on the internet find grammar and good spelling to be an anomaly. Personally, I think if you can't speak or write the English (or in this case, American) language, you shouldn't be able to abuse it either. The internet would be a lonely place.

That being said, it seems that this game is going to once again go to whoever has the most free time on their hands and/or a bot. Bummer.
Guardian said on: 2008-01-07 10:13 pm
5947 Days, 2 Hrs, 33 Min, 41 Sec ago
Well, obviously you don't want me to talk anymore since you are getting nowhere. Besides, what the hell are you expecting out of these types of games if the ones with the most idle time do not excel the most? (Bots not included) You obviously need to think some as well before you speak :P
Crlaozwyn said on: 2008-01-08 02:28 am
5946 Days, 22 Hrs, 18 Min, 24 Sec ago
Guardian, this thread is about botting, not about you. If you have any doubts, just look at the title. Ideally (as both a gamer and someone who's going to be building) some measure of skill would be involved winning a game, instead of merely being led by whoever has the least semblance of a normal life (no offense intended, you did explain why you were leveling so much).

Rarely are my posts not well thought-out. I do not flame, although I can be guilty of being overly sarcastic. Sometimes I do forget that people's lives are not like mine (recently engaged, planning a wedding, own my own business + working 2 other jobs) and therefore that what would be impossible for me to do legitimately is possible for others. I envy the time you seem have on your hands, but can't say I'd spend it the same way. While your experience is apparently legitimate, can you see why I was suspicious? A kill every 3 seconds for extended periods of time most often indicates a bot and not a human, since most people can't click that fast, have shorter attention spans, and don't even have internet connections fast enough to handle that (while a bot only needs to send, and not receive info back, greatly speeding up the process). If WaR2 has become your passion in life (or at least a temporary obsession), knock yourself out - judging from what we've seen over the past few days, no one else will even come close.
GuildaMage said on: 2008-01-08 05:13 pm
5946 Days, 7 Hrs, 33 Min, 46 Sec ago
*shrugs*

I wasnt accusing anyone of botting, just saying that people jumping up that many levels that fast on a limited beta was very fishy.

That being said, the entire point is mote as everyone was reset and when its back up itll have uber anti bot stuff.
Dondon said on: 2008-01-09 12:10 am
5946 Days, 37 Minutes, 23 Seconds ago
Wait, you people can speak English?

This thread has quadrupled the average IQ of NN on its own.
Chargg said on: 2008-01-09 12:28 am
5946 Days, 18 Minutes, 41 Seconds ago
Eh, your signature makes me want to try to remember where that old WaR2 Hite url is sitting... I know he ended up dumping it onto the guild site some time in the past... though I don't think he did it on purpose, exactly, but... Heh.

Ah well, memories.
MethodMan said on: 2008-01-09 01:20 pm
5945 Days, 11 Hrs, 26 Min, 41 Sec ago
That being said, it seems that this game is going to once again go to whoever has the most free time on their hands and/or a bot. Bummer.

What the flute? You're bummed because this game will be dominated by whoever has the most free time on thier hands? Who else is supposed to win in a game like this? Sorry, but I didn't realize that there was skill in moving a mouse around a screen and clicking links. If a person is willing to spend a dominating amount of his time in a game, should he not be rewareded with a dominating lead?

Red (Tester) said on: 2008-01-09 02:47 pm
5945 Days, 9 Hrs, 59 Min, 27 Sec ago
I do find it somewhat disgusting that people on the internet find grammar and good spelling to be an anomaly. Personally, I think if you can't speak or write the English (or in this case, American) language, you shouldn't be able to abuse it either. The internet would be a lonely place.

---

I do not find it to be an anomaly. I simply was pointing something out in an obnoxious manner. And if you know me at all, I normally type in good grammar.

BUT I LEIK TYPING LEIK DIS 2 U SEE?! LZOLZ

Haha. Get a sense of humor, fat boy.
Crlaozwyn said on: 2008-01-09 04:06 pm
5945 Days, 8 Hrs, 41 Min, 10 Sec ago
IMHO every decent game requires some modicum of skill, albeit some require less than others. Even in point and click games, there should be some skill involved in knowing which mobs are best for your level/eq, knowing when to buy or save for better gear, etc. Of course it's true that someone would dominate if they were 45, lived in their parents' basement, had no real friends or job, and did nothing but play WaR2 all day (not saying that about anyone specific - I don't know most NNers in real life). My point was just that I think a skilled individual with 3 hours should be able to surpass an unskilled player with 4 hours. Will that happen? Quite possibly, as anti-bot measures are introduced and the world expands, creating more variety in play style.

As for Red:
While it has been said that sarcasm is the lowest form of humor, my personal opinion is that the people who say that just don't understand it. I try not to judge people based on how they act online - some of the nicest people I know are completely inept when it comes to the internet. But of course you're right - I have no sense of humor and am overweight. You got me there. If I wasn't so comfortable in this bathtub full of butter and Twinkies, I'd come over there and sit on you.
Red (Tester) said on: 2008-01-09 07:45 pm
5945 Days, 5 Hrs, 1 Min, 28 Sec ago
LOL

You have earned my respect.
Dealer1 said on: 2008-01-10 02:03 am
5944 Days, 22 Hrs, 44 Min, 17 Sec ago
This is boring. Can we discuss Shakespeare now?
TheWhiteDemon said on: 2008-01-13 12:21 pm
5941 Days, 12 Hrs, 25 Min, 45 Sec ago
I hate you all.
Dondon said on: 2008-01-15 10:38 pm
5939 Days, 2 Hrs, 8 Min, 40 Sec ago
Crlaozwyn just called an NN game decent.
TinaMiaz said on: 2008-01-16 07:54 am
5938 Days, 16 Hrs, 53 Min, 9 Sec ago
This thread brought tears to my eyes. NN has some hope yet. There are some people out there that can actually write properly and use decent grammar.

*applause*
Chargg said on: 2008-01-16 05:13 pm
5938 Days, 7 Hrs, 33 Min, 59 Sec ago
Two bits...

First, technically, unless he said it again sometime yesterday, he didn't JUST say it. :) When almost a week has gone by, the 'just' has left.

Second, as he was saying that every decent game requires some modicum of skill, and then followed that by saying that the way that WaR2 is developing no skill is required, only time, that would suggest that it's not developing in a way towards decency. In my interpretation thereof.

Or would you disagree? :)
Dondon said on: 2008-01-19 09:34 pm
5935 Days, 3 Hrs, 12 Min, 59 Sec ago
I only read the first few words of his post, since I don't care at all about the discussion at hand.
Dealer1 said on: 2008-01-20 03:27 am
5934 Days, 21 Hrs, 20 Min, 2 Sec ago
I did try reading his post but my eyes glazed over. Chargg writes like those Vietnamese guys in my advanced econometrics class. They write and speak English but it still takes unreasonable effort to understand them.

Chargg, are you from Vietnam? Or China?
Crlaozwyn said on: 2008-01-21 02:13 am
5933 Days, 22 Hrs, 33 Min, 52 Sec ago
Yeah Chargg, you from Vietnam?

BUAHAHAHAHAHAH

HAHAHHA

Heh.
Chargg said on: 2008-01-21 03:43 pm
5933 Days, 9 Hrs, 3 Min, 48 Sec ago
No, though I'm from a place besides America, where people speak actual English. Sorry if it's too difficult for those of you with substandard educations to decipher. :)
Crlaozwyn said on: 2008-01-23 12:41 pm
5931 Days, 12 Hrs, 5 Min, 32 Sec ago
Alright bro, the purpose of language is to communicate and not to confuse. Yes, your grammar and word selection are correct, but inappropriate for this context. This isn't a dissertation, it's a web forum where the average age seems to be about 12 (no offense intended to people younger than that :p). I know for a fact that you're able to write more understandably than you've done here. So there. Pah.

Now, back to the real topic at hand.

Bots are bad.
Dealer1 said on: 2008-01-24 03:06 am
5930 Days, 21 Hrs, 41 Min, 18 Sec ago
Chargg..at no level of higher education is such confusing language encouraged! Scholars like John Stuart Mill are read and studied in spite of their obscure and confusing language, and not because of their language.

The use of simple language is valued because when you approach difficult subjects like quantum physics or higher level econometrics or Descartes' dualism, any use of difficult language is going to make your essay completely unreadable. I have taken the liberty of using one of my old essays to illustrate this point. It is an argumentative summary of Descartes' Second Meditation with the aim on introducing readers to one of the most famous philosophical arguments while still being able to stand up to rigorous academic dissection. Imagine how completely unreadable the essay would been if I had chosen to employ regular philosophical talk on such a difficult subject matter?

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dc4sq26d_1xsj6dmhb

Sorry if the essay isn't that good but there was a word limit and you might want to actually read Descartes to appreciate how difficult the task was. Better still, read Descartes and my argumentative summary side by side.

The original text can be found at http://www.sacred-texts.com/phi/desc/med.txt

Do a search for 'Of the nature of the Human Mind; and that it is more easily known than the Body' and start reading from there.
Chargg said on: 2008-01-24 07:59 am
5930 Days, 16 Hrs, 47 Min, 55 Sec ago
Hmm... well, according to Microsoft's Readability stats, my segment had an average grade level of 8. Which means that the structuring and vocabulary and all of that should be easily understandable by an 8th grader with a proper education.

That being said, I'm sorry, you're right Crlaozwyn... I should have aimed for the NN average and dropped it a few more grades. I just figured that, given that most of the people here are the ones who liked WaR2 at some period between 5-9 years ago, they'd probably have attended another year or two of school after finishing 6th grade. Silly me. :)
Dondon said on: 2008-01-25 12:25 am
5930 Days, 21 Minutes, 35 Seconds ago
Apparently Dealer1's second paragraph has a readability level of 16, meaning that only those with a 4th year university reading ability should be able to comprehend it.

PLEASE. A 5th grader could understand it just fine. Don't use readability levels in an argument ever again, or face a smack down in War2 (once I bother to play).

(For the record, my first paragraph has a level of 18. Something is clearly amiss. I am guessing it takes into account how poorly written it is, then spits out an approximation of the intelligence required to piece it together.:P)
Chargg said on: 2008-01-25 12:48 am
5929 Days, 23 Hrs, 58 Min, 26 Sec ago
Part of the issue is that web-names aren't considered proper names, but technical nouns, raising the readability level by a decent bit. That being said, it means the readability level is actually less than displayed because of this, and that just makes it worse that people complained about mine. ;)
Courbple said on: 2008-03-24 08:28 am
5870 Days, 16 Hrs, 18 Min, 47 Sec ago
Dude, Guardian, is that you? I mos def played this game with you a decade ago. If I remember right, you gained XP about 20913480598325x faster than I did and got on the chat to gloat about it. Jerk. ;-P Seriously though this is the first time I've been on this website for 10 years and I'm stoked that this game is coming back. It gives me something to do while not studying for the LSAT.
Guardian said on: 2008-03-29 11:39 am
5865 Days, 13 Hrs, 7 Min, 49 Sec ago
Don't know when I ever came onto "gloat" about leveling speed, since I mainly only just chatted with other people online while I was playing. Dunno though, since I believe at one point I stopped playing due to RL stuff, and came back and WaR2 wasn't available anymore, so it might be possible that someone used my name as a character name during that time.