General Forum

Question for weight trainers 11 replies

WeaponX (Mod) said on: 2011-07-23 09:27 am
4650 Days, 17 Hrs, 5 Min, 19 Sec ago
Basically, I've decided to start working out. I'm wondering if there is any kind of program you recommend? Like arms/upper body one day, legs the day after that, and just switch back and forth or what? Also if you recommend any kind of supplements or just go without those for a bit, or what? I mean, I'm a pretty skinny dude, I probably weigh between 135-140 fully clothed and soaking wet. Always have, always will unless I start lifting. I want to get up to at least 160. So, here's my list basically.

-What kind of supplements do you use to bulk up
-What kind of foods do you eat (chicken breast, eggs, fish?) AND what to stay away from
-Stretches/pre-lifting exercises
-How many days a week is actually healthy
-How long should a daily workout last
-Would running/bike riding help with endurence

I should add, I have weights, but I don't have a bench, so this makes me wonder how I'm suppose to work out the ol' pecks because I know you're suppose to lay on your back and do a butterfly type deal with weights to get those bigger. Is there anything else I can do, or should I invest in a bench? Thanks in advance, feel free to add anything else. Sal, you're the one I hope gets here first lol.

[Added at 07/23/2011 10:31:15 by WeaponX]
It has also been awhile since I've been really physically active, and I am a smoker, so should I start into this slow as I try to cut back on the ciggys? Because as I'm doing this I'm going to try to quit smoking as well. Just don't want to have a friggin' heart attack or some crap right off the bat, lol.

[Added at 07/23/2011 10:34:59 by WeaponX]
And what works out forearms? I have one of those things shaped like a "V" that you're suppose to squeeze.. those things actually work?
Nataku said on: 2011-07-23 02:25 pm
4650 Days, 12 Hrs, 8 Min, 6 Sec ago
ask sal anything pertaining too weightlifting

[Added at 07/23/2011 15:26:00 by Nataku]
oh you already mentioned sal
Tooks said on: 2011-07-23 08:14 pm
4650 Days, 6 Hrs, 19 Min, 6 Sec ago
Sal will just tell you to go mainline some beaver tranquilizer or something then tell everyone you did it legit.
Oracle said on: 2011-07-24 03:38 am
4649 Days, 22 Hrs, 55 Min, 5 Sec ago
eat proteins every day
lift insanely heavy crap
dont do it so much you de-disc your spine
use muscles you want to grow
Elmy said on: 2011-07-24 10:24 am
4649 Days, 16 Hrs, 8 Min, 15 Sec ago
As far as 'program', it's really what is comfortable for you. Because of the exercises I do for each specific area, (which tend to overlap with other areas), this is the program I ended up with;

Back / Biceps
Forearms / Chest
Legs
Shoulders / Triceps
Abs (Everyday)

Supplements; protein powder (I use whey). It's all you really need for now. I like to drink a small coffee before a work out too to get the blood pumping.

Don't take stretching for granted. Do it for at least 10 minutes before each session. I also like to stretch between sets in addition to that. Your back is your biggest concern here. The rest; you're still young enough that you don't need to terribly concern yourself with stretching, but a light session is still good.

I usually have 2 protein shakes a day. One in the morning after my cardio, and one after my weight workout that night.

Foods is obvious. But it really depends on what you're looking for. I'm at about 7% body fat - I have abs, but I'm not a huge guy. I'm lean and strong. If you're looking to bulk, that's different. You'll have to eat a lot more than I do. My eating pattern is very balanced. Any meat I eat is fish or chicken, and I eat some every day. The rest is all fruits and veggies, or breakfast foods like oatmeal. I won't go into more details for nutrition for now... If you really want to bulk, eat a lot of high protein foods like nuts, meat, etc. And you'll be eating past that 'full' point too.

When bulking, there really isn't a 'stay away from' food unless you're also concerned about eating healthy.

I workout every day that I can - depending on the intensity of the workout the previous day will depend on whether or not I do today. Listen to your body; if you feel up to a work out, do it, if not, take a break.

No more than an hour an a half workout, that's stretching it a bit as well. At least, that's what they recommend. I've never found anything downside to working out for longer but whatever.

Of course cardio would help your endurance, that goes without saying. It's best to do it in the morning. However, again, if you're trying to bulk, burning calories is not your goal. If you are going to do this however, you should do your cardio after your weight training.

There are plenty of exercises you can do without a bench. Take some time to visit some websites or download an app. I use one called JEFIT and it's quite good. Keeps logs and shows me pictures of how to properly do the exercise as well as descriptions.

Your body will tell you when you need to stop. If you're dying or start vomiting during a work, relax for a bit and go again after you've taken a breather. Being a smoker will set you back some.

And yes, those 'V's (hand grips) do help the forearm but their primary function is to increase grip strength. You can also reverse barbell curls, wrist curls, etc. There's quite a bit.

[Added at 07/23/2011 10:34:59 by WeaponX]
And what works out forearms? I have one of those things shaped like a "V" that you're suppose to squeeze.. those things actually work?
WeaponX (Mod) said on: 2011-07-25 10:40 pm
4648 Days, 3 Hrs, 53 Min, 6 Sec ago
Awesome, thanks Elmo, I'll check around for a good app. I'm on android now but I'll see if that one you mentioned is on the market. Just kinda looking to put some weight on I guess. Not so much looking to get disgustingly ripped, but fairly toned and +20 lbs or so.

[Added at 07/25/2011 23:47:23 by WeaponX]
JEFIT is on android, looks good. Thanks!
Sal said on: 2011-07-26 02:32 am
4648 Days, 1 Minute, 6 Seconds ago
Here's a link to a post I made in another forum to help people build their own program:

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=56227800&f=60

It has most of the things you need to know there.
Nataku said on: 2011-07-30 04:55 pm
4643 Days, 9 Hrs, 37 Min, 27 Sec ago
when i worked out i would work out 5 days a week

doing arms, back, legs, chest, and shoulders.

do these in any order you are comfortable with

[Added at 08/01/2011 21:18:36 by Nataku]
do one of these each day and you will do great
DeltaFlyer13 said on: 2011-08-11 11:03 am
4631 Days, 15 Hrs, 29 Min, 16 Sec ago
Just do P90X. :)
ShadowLord69 said on: 2011-08-14 11:23 pm
4628 Days, 3 Hrs, 9 Min, 20 Sec ago
Tony, building muscle is the least of your worries. Start doing walks then go to jogs then runs every other day then run/jog every day. Mon/wed/fri run, tues/thurs jog with the weekend off.

For building muscle just do push ups, situps, crunches, supermans, chin ups and yoga.

I use noom off of the android market, I find it to be very useful. Feel free to take my advice with a grain of salt, but start with a little and work up and count your quitting smoking into it. Also stop eating burger king etc, eating healthy and maintaining a healthy weight is 100x more important then looking "big", looking big is an ego thing.
Nataku said on: 2011-08-28 03:05 pm
4614 Days, 11 Hrs, 27 Min, 36 Sec ago
when i worked out my diet was eggs and poridge and sausage for breakfast, chicken drumsticks and rice for lunch kraft dinner and potatoes for supper with a few raw carrots and beef just before bedtime.

i also took protien supplements with this

[Added at 08/28/2011 17:36:57 by Nataku]
also if you wanna gain wieght eat more grams of protien than you wieigh
say if you weigh 150 eat 200 grams of protein too gain wieght

as long as you work out that day

and only take protien powders and supplements if you are working out that day

else it just turns too fat
WeaponX (Mod) said on: 2011-08-30 09:59 pm
4612 Days, 4 Hrs, 34 Min, 12 Sec ago
w00t. Lots of good advice. :)

DF - From what I've heard about p90x, that would probably beat me down, haha.