General Forum

Netnexus users: Where are they(you) now? 36 replies

Desideo said on: 2014-05-08 10:19 am
3639 Days, 4 Hrs, 38 Min, 48 Sec ago
It's simple: Post where you were in life when you actively frequented and used this site and where you are now. e.g. Career, where you live,your general outlook on life, what do you do etc. Try not to boast as others may be less as fortunate.

I'm curious as to the progress in life many of you have made. I'm curious as to how you have all changed.

Thanks.

[Added at 05/08/2014 11:23:33 by Desideo]
Oh and I don't want to know about how long you've been a user here or how cool your super low user I'd is. I want to hear about You. :)
Sal said on: 2014-05-08 05:43 pm
3638 Days, 21 Hrs, 14 Min, 40 Sec ago
When I frequented this website regularly I was working out and trying to become a pro strongman.

I got my pro card and then I dropped a 400lbs farmer's walk handle on my ankle. It detached the tendon and crushed the heel bone. That paired with previous muscle tears and some minor injuries ended my career (3 weeks after getting the damn card!)

At the time, my friend owned a music studio and since I was pretty depressed about the whole strongman thing, I quit working out entirely and made a piano album. He was pretty impressed with my work and hired me as a composer.

Worked there for 2 years and quit a few months ago to pursue working out in the gaming industry.

That's where I'm at now.
Red (Tester) said on: 2014-05-09 07:46 am
3638 Days, 7 Hrs, 12 Min, 18 Sec ago
Was in an accelerated nursing program in the Washington DC area years ago when this site was frequented often. At the moment, I've been working here and there around the east coast for the past several years in hospitals after getting my BSN. I'm currently living and working in the Bronx, NYC.

I guess I haven't been in touch much. I never got into many social media sites like Facebook or Twitter, I suppose that I keep to myself and family, at most times :p. Haven't gotten married, either.

Just a busy bee :). I have traveled a lot over the past few years, to European destinations, the Middle East, and around the continental USA and some of South America in Argentina.

Out of time now, so if I can get more into it, I will. But I like topics like these :)

I want to know what BLAKE IS DOING

IronSinew (Admin) said on: 2014-05-10 01:42 pm
3637 Days, 1 Hr, 15 Min, 54 Sec ago
Blake? Blake's not doing too much, I suppose. Blake went to school to be a nurse and was getting ready to transfer to an x-ray technician program - ultrasound specialization, when he decided that he really missed computers. Working at a clinic made him come to that stark realization that computers are awesome.

He got a job as a programming manager for a small start up, was recruited away by a bigger company, and then recruited away again to the place he currently works. He has a baby due June 14th and is loving life.

Was it weird that Blake wrote that in third person?

~Iron
ShadowLord69 said on: 2014-05-13 11:38 am
3634 Days, 3 Hrs, 19 Min, 56 Sec ago
hmmm.

lets think, 5 years ago I was a night auditor, then I moved on to looking at opening a pizza franchise (panago) numbers didn't work so well. then I started as a salesman for a company got promoted to sales manager and did that for a while.

currently left all that behind and im doing Sharia law studies and Arabic studies with Quran Recitation. I have a two year old daughter (june 19) and my wife is due in december with our second child inshallah.

I drive cab for income and may buy my own. currently living in kelowna and quite enjoying myself.
Red (Tester) said on: 2014-05-14 05:42 am
3633 Days, 9 Hrs, 15 Min, 43 Sec ago
Congratulations Blake! And yes, it was weird to recite that in the third person.

I'm glad you went back to the area of work that you enjoy the most. I've learned that's the best way to work for a living, doing something you like (the same way I like helping sick people :P).

:)
CRACKER_JACK said on: 2014-05-15 12:38 pm
3632 Days, 2 Hrs, 20 Min, 35 Sec ago
Lets see in the past 12 years, finished University, moved to Panama, met my wife, got 3 past her when she was sleeping or not paying attention, moved back to canada, working as a Land Surveyor. Now i taxi my kids to Hockey in winter and Ball in the summer.

My life in 5 lines.

Also still waiting for everyone to quit so i can get my 1st win!
Dealer1 said on: 2014-06-10 09:04 am
3606 Days, 5 Hrs, 54 Min, 12 Sec ago
In the last 15 years, I finished my postgrad, worked in san francisco for a start up, backpacked europe for some months, worked for awhile in beijing earning a pittance, but finally settled down in singapore. I have had coffee/tea with 2 of the top 15 billionaires in the world, but am nowhere near being as rich. I earn very modest income working for the singapore government as a trade policymaker/negotiator, but am content where I am today.
Vegito said on: 2014-06-13 01:35 am
3603 Days, 13 Hrs, 23 Min, 8 Sec ago
I was young, I was a kid. I was in school, I don't remember which school. It was near the end of elementary school / beginning of highschool.

I had lots of fun here on netnexus. I met great people, I had fun with the games, I had fun in the forums, in the chat. I fell for someone on here. My computer always did suck though. I was a kid, we were not well off. It would take 15+ minutes to boot my computer and get into chat, and sometimes I'd lag out, but still had great times. I'd stay here late into the night, talking to whoever happens to pass by in chat. It was a lot more active back then. We were a strong community with strong members. Members who's names preceded them. Legends, if you will. Those were good times.

Since then, I've done a lot. I graduated highschool, went to learn programming, and then I feel like life really started to pick up. I got a job in games. Worked for Capcom. Worked for EA. Worked for myself. Met a nice girl. She was Japanese and we flew off to Japan to live together for a while. Had many adventures. Now I'm back home with her. We're engaged, getting married soon. I'm back to working in the games industry, doing free2play games now. Job is going great. I own my own place, my own car. That's me now.

I have good things in my life. But, oh what I wouldn't give to re-live some of my moments here on NN. I'll truly treasure those moments.

I don't know why I'm back here after so long, but here I am. I hope this site never dies. That'll be a sad day. For me and for more than a handful of others I'm sure.
Desideo said on: 2014-06-15 01:56 am
3601 Days, 13 Hrs, 2 Min, 3 Sec ago
Nicely put Vegito. Worked at Capcom and EA? So my guess is Burnaby(I live down the road from EA/BCIT). Good to hear back from everyone else as well. Keep them coming.
LagunaCid said on: 2014-06-15 10:19 am
3601 Days, 4 Hrs, 39 Min, 19 Sec ago
I joined NN as a Brazilian teenager with awful English. I've since immigrated to Canada with my family (Burnaby, hi) and grew a lot. Now I am about to move to Seattle to work as a software engineer. Very excited!

I definitely would not be able to guess that my life would be going in this direction when I registered here.
Red (Tester) said on: 2014-06-15 06:11 pm
3600 Days, 20 Hrs, 46 Min, 55 Sec ago
With so many lovely minds and kids becoming adults, what is stopping us from re-living those moments, Vegito?

Can't we improve NetNexus, or is it futile without the owners who seem to be paying for the domain for decades. lol
Gemz said on: 2014-06-20 06:46 am
3596 Days, 8 Hrs, 12 Min, 7 Sec ago
kid... highschool. did the whole military thing... now just relaxing at a cake job doing genetic research on chickens
IronSinew (Admin) said on: 2014-06-22 03:26 pm
3593 Days, 23 Hrs, 32 Min, 1 Sec ago
I wouldn't say this place is without owners. It's merely without owners who have time. :(

~Iron
Red (Tester) said on: 2014-06-23 05:55 am
3593 Days, 9 Hrs, 3 Min, 31 Sec ago
It's obvious they haven't had time for several years up to a decade, but why does that hinder absolutely any progress? I am sure there are willing minds with more free time that can contribute, it's more about trust and management than anything else.

If you need me to stay mum, then I can :P. But I, for one, and probably in accordance with a few others here, would love to see this place shine with a minor update once in a while, even if user driven without any sort of real development plan.
Elmy said on: 2014-06-23 11:29 pm
3592 Days, 15 Hrs, 29 Min, 6 Sec ago
Never went to post secondary due to family/financial issues. Worked a few poo poo ty jobs, ended up at a call center for Apple iTunes support.

Worked my way up to Team Leader over the span of 3 years, but the whole time I was really just getting bored of what I was doing and wanted a change. Started volunteering at different organizations to broaden my interests, one of those was St John Ambulance which piqued my interest in emergency services and I had thoughts of becoming a paramedic (still do at times).

Volunteering at SJA opened up some opportunities/connections. I ended up finding out about an ambulance dispatch job coming up for the region. I applied, got through the tests and interview, went through a 6 month training program which went well. That was almost 4 years ago, and I've been working as an ambulance dispatcher since.

I really like what I do, I'm good at it, and I make decent money. I don't know if it's what I'll be doing the rest of my life, but I wouldn't mind it.

Bought a house just over a year ago, now just getting used to being a home owner and the routines that come with it. Volunteering / gym / work is what keeps my busy these days.

[Added at 06/24/2014 00:32:34 by Elmy]
Oh, and as far as where I was when I started frequenting this site, just some kid in school. Nothing special, had no motivation coming out of it, just played video games all day. Got tired of it.
Red (Tester) said on: 2014-06-25 04:04 pm
3590 Days, 22 Hrs, 53 Min, 50 Sec ago
/me tickles Elmo.

I am so glad you're doing things you enjoy, Elm :)

That's the key to not hating your life lol
RecklessPerson said on: 2014-06-29 09:28 pm
3586 Days, 17 Hrs, 29 Min, 51 Sec ago
I was in school (early high school). Went to college after. Graduated, got married. Took over the family business. That is where I currently am, trying to expand and grow.
IronSinew (Admin) said on: 2014-07-01 09:36 pm
3584 Days, 17 Hrs, 22 Min, 28 Sec ago
Was that a gas station, or a kwik-e-mart, or both, Recky? ;)

~Iron
Xadriandiablos said on: 2014-07-03 05:45 am
3583 Days, 9 Hrs, 13 Min, 27 Sec ago
Hm..

When I frequented this site it was mostly on Nations, I was in 6th grade at the time. I remember mostly because I had brought it up on the forums back then how I was playing Nations with some people from school; well apparently the next day at school they were pretty upset because they were telling everyone that they were in their mid twenties. Haha.

After graduating highschool and attending college at Columbia College in the evenings I had picked up a job doing tech support for a restaurant point of sale software company. Turns out while I was there I discovered the joy of programming in VB.net and C#.net where I proceeded to manage the company's software development team for 3 years after some school time.

At that job I had first child, my son, in 2007. I was fired for not showing up to work the day he was born, because I was at the hospital with him and his mother. That was on a Friday.

The following Monday I was interviewed and hired as an IT for a software development company internet marketing and advertising where during the year I worked there, they paid for me to achieve my MCP, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA and CCNP certifications through Microsoft and Cisco, in addition to my Computer Engineering bachelors degree.

Unfortunately after the year was up, the economy crashed and I had just had my second child, my daughter, during that year. They laid 54 of us off and as IT's we were expendable simply for the fact that we were costing them money and not making them any (the joy of sales department I suppose, lucky man s. Lol.)

Well luckily for me the Navy Recruiting office happened to be in the downstairs lobby of the same building in which that particular company was in. So I enlisted.

I have been in the Navy for 3 1/2 years now and am currently testing for my E-6, or Petty Officer First Class exam as a Hull Technician. My wife of my first two children and I are now divorced due to her inability to stay faithful while I was overseas and I am now married to a sailor who I met during my second deployment overseas and her and I have a one year old daughter.

I may not have the most appealing lifestyle right now, but I have a job I love and a wonderful family; I couldn't ask for more.

Sorry for the long story, it's nice to see everyone else's journey through life also.
TheSource (Admin) said on: 2014-07-17 04:52 pm
3568 Days, 22 Hrs, 5 Min, 46 Sec ago
Racky, Is that the hotel near railroad square?
Red (Tester) said on: 2014-09-09 07:11 pm
3514 Days, 19 Hrs, 47 Min, 10 Sec ago
Nobody goes through life without regrets!

I'm so glad you're doing well, Chelly, and doing what you love to do. Glad to hear from you ;)
InuYasha said on: 2014-09-14 12:02 am
3510 Days, 14 Hrs, 56 Min, 6 Sec ago
I was a freshman in high school when I first came to this site. I played pretty consistently through out my four years of high school. Later I did an accelerated Nursing program at Kent State University. I graduated with a bachelor's in nursing, working the field for a few years and eventually left.

Shortly after leaving I suffered a near fatal MRSA infection that caused sepetic shock. I recovered from the infection, but the experience left my mind in shambles. I suffered horribly for years afterward because of PTSD and exacerbated symptoms of bipolar disorder.

I obtained a job in a local bakery as a baker and worked there for three years. Due to my mental problems I was unable to continue working and was forced to resign. I've attempted suicide twice since that time, almost successfully both times. My most recent attempt caused my girlfriend of 5 years to throw me out of our apartment and leave me homeless.

Luckily I have wonderful friends and family who helped me through all of this. I currently have an apartment with a close friend who I've known for a decade and gotten my job at the bakery back. I am being promoted to Production Trainer (I'll be responsible for training all the production staff and educating the staff about GMPs and sanitary practices.) I've found a psychiatrist I like who genuinely wants to help me and am on medications that ease my anxiety and bipolar related symptoms.

I started coming to this site as a arrogant 15 year old prick and have returned now as a 28 year old man who's been tempered by the unforgiving and cruel fires of reality.
PinWizard said on: 2014-09-15 09:33 pm
3508 Days, 17 Hrs, 24 Min, 38 Sec ago
I started coming to the site when I just was a little 6th grader. I had no idea what i was going to do with my life.

Now I am a junior in college in PA, studying to become a audio engineer(i already knew how I'm just getting official training now). I own my own media business, http://www.earlyriseproductions.com I have a girlfriend of 3 years, about to get engaged. I work two jobs, one for a University doing their marketing, and the other doing media work for a church. Life is good. Find me on Facebook here --> https://www.facebook.com/derrick.harvey.355

Entity-Neo said on: 2014-09-16 07:39 am
3508 Days, 7 Hrs, 19 Min, 26 Sec ago
Well, when i first came here i was a part time boxer living in Philadelphia.

I used to earn a bit of cash $$$$ collecting debts for this bloke i knew named Gazza.
That was my day to day doing a bit of boxing and collecting debts, one day i went into a pet shop and met a shy girl named Adrian who ended up being the love of my life.

One day my life completely changed when the then current world boxing champ Appolo wanted to fight a no name boxer as a publicity stunt, the fight happens and it goes the distance and i earnt the respect of the world!

30 years since then and im a retired boxer and the former heavy weight champion of the world.
I have a son named Robert to my wife Adrian (RIP) who i miss very dearly.
Viper10488 said on: 2014-09-18 07:03 pm
3505 Days, 19 Hrs, 55 Min, 6 Sec ago
Started in 2003, back in HS. Don't remember much, too long ago.

Now: In Graduate school.
SeniorUnloco said on: 2014-09-29 12:56 pm
3495 Days, 2 Hrs, 1 Min, 49 Sec ago
/runs in Octagons

I havent changed much, just got older and joints hurt more often.

After the military thing for 6 years, I have been job hopping from Tech job to tech job. If this current one doesnt pan out, going back to college for a degree in programming.

Still pretty much the same personality. Online: Kinda crazy and lowkey. Offline: Still the shy hermitive person that I will always be.

Still living with my folks still trying to get back on my feet after the miltiary thing. Still alone.

/runs in octagons

[Added at 09/30/2014 13:56:24 by SeniorUnloco]
If anyone needs me, ill be in chat when at work. like right now.
Desideo said on: 2014-10-02 08:01 am
3492 Days, 6 Hrs, 57 Min, 25 Sec ago
Don't be shy Neo, let's hear the real story.

Great job guys, glad to hear your stories and can't wait to hear more!
SeniorUnloco said on: 2014-10-02 05:27 pm
3491 Days, 21 Hrs, 30 Min, 44 Sec ago
I would still perma ban all your chat alts. Sideo

b/c reasons
TC616 said on: 2014-10-05 04:08 pm
3488 Days, 22 Hrs, 50 Min, 29 Sec ago
I was a little child when I was on here. Became a heroin addicts for years and started dealing and burning dealers for cash. Year clean now in community college. Spend my days having sex with slutty girls.
Desideo said on: 2014-10-06 12:06 pm
3488 Days, 2 Hrs, 52 Min, 28 Sec ago
Senior - I am sorry you feel that way. It's been many years since my old trolling days. I was simply bored with my life at that point. Something I've long been over.
Serv said on: 2014-11-04 01:21 pm
3459 Days, 1 Hr, 37 Min, 1 Sec ago
6 months late, but whatevs.

15+(ish?) years ago: Attended high school in a small town on the west coast of Norway, whilst spending too much time playing StarCraft and Terran Legacy on pay-per-minute dialup. Life was pretty rough.

10 years ago: Trained for and eventually repaired commercial airplanes for a living on the south-west coast of Norway, whilst spending all my spare time playing video games in my rented basement suite. Life was ok.

Now: Working as consultant programmer on the Canadian prairies, whilst spending most of my spare time with my wife and 2 kids in our mid-size 2-story house. Life is good.

I got lucky.
RecklessPerson said on: 2014-11-19 01:50 pm
3444 Days, 1 Hr, 8 Min, 24 Sec ago
This makes me feel old.
SeniorUnloco said on: 2014-11-21 08:44 pm
3441 Days, 18 Hrs, 13 Min, 45 Sec ago
We are all reckie's alts
Nataku said on: 2014-12-28 07:23 pm
3404 Days, 19 Hrs, 35 Min, 35 Sec ago
I am now in a work and educarion pogram. I can only think of tommorow
PFC-Hepburn said on: 2015-01-04 04:24 pm
3397 Days, 22 Hrs, 34 Min, 6 Sec ago
Man... where has the time gone! Started on net nexus while I was in the 9th grade, now I am 10 years + in the military with a wife.... :P Wow..