WaR2: New Horizons Forum

Opinions 15 replies

TheSource (Admin) said on: 2008-01-08 11:12 am
5952 Days, 23 Hrs, 52 Min, 14 Sec ago
Well, We did it. The first week of beta has come to a close. I personally found it to be a successful test, bugs brought to my attention shall be fixed. A few Anti-Bot measures will be introduced. The next phase of beta will have at least 5 new races, and as many as 4 new classes.
This is the time to voice any opinions on the content and structure of the game. post any and all complaints/opinions/suggestions here.
TheNewGuy said on: 2008-01-08 12:13 pm
5952 Days, 22 Hrs, 50 Min, 46 Sec ago
Is there any way to incorporate keyboard shorcut keys into the game? Not essential, but it is nice to be able to use the keyboard instead of constant mouse moving and clicking. It would also be great if spells could have shortcuts as I found it a little hasslesome to use the drop down every time. If the keyboard shortcuts aren't possible can the spell stay on the last one used as opposed to reverting to pixie fire?

Thanks for the great beta test.
Stoutn said on: 2008-01-08 01:08 pm
5952 Days, 21 Hrs, 55 Min, 46 Sec ago
I would have to agree with the previous post.

I was clicking away randomly and though that shortcut keys would be a useful addition to the game, due the the constant scrolling down I had to do to fight something.
ChaoticLaw said on: 2008-01-08 02:22 pm
5952 Days, 20 Hrs, 42 Min, 22 Sec ago
I was going to bring up the last spell staying on top as well. Just makes life a little easier for people playing as mages.

Maybe in the "More Stats" section put our damage range and defense range so we kind of know what to expect going into fights against different mobs.

There are other small things, but I can't think of good ways to explain them, or suggestions to fix them so I'll think about it.
Lt_Greeneyes said on: 2008-01-08 03:37 pm
5952 Days, 19 Hrs, 26 Min, 40 Sec ago
I really like the game so far. One thing I can think of is -possibly- improving the map. Not essential of course. I agree with them about the spell thing as well. Not much else to comment on... maybe having some more of the mobs drop items? The only one I found that drops anything is the rat.
Cllander said on: 2008-01-08 03:51 pm
5952 Days, 19 Hrs, 12 Min, 47 Sec ago
how about having the map auto refresh so that you can move it to a second monitor and continually see where you are and where you can go. Either that or don't have it as a pop up at all, but have it on the main page where you can look at it.
Axheren said on: 2008-01-08 04:08 pm
5952 Days, 18 Hrs, 55 Min, 39 Sec ago
WaR3 had a feature that showed mobs as dead and you had to wait for them to "respawn." This was pretty cool, allowed you to fight other things than just one mob for hours on end. I liked that, but either way is pretty fun I guess.

I think there should be a TON of variety in mobs. It's decent right now, where with certain equipment you can fight. two different mobs, one giving more gold or one giving more exp, whichever you're into.

And drops drops drops. Drops should be extremely key in the game I think, should really help with level progression. Armor drops should be implemented, as well.

Also, maybe more equipment slots. Like a necklace with modifiers, ring with modifiers, boots, gloves, would be pretty cool and allow for more versatile characters. I'm sure I can think of some more later, I'll be back. :)
Chargg said on: 2008-01-08 05:26 pm
5952 Days, 17 Hrs, 37 Min, 55 Sec ago
More helps would be good... Especially if tons more classes and professions are going in, you NEED to know what you're picking, because a lot of the people were picking races or classes they didn't want later...

The user lookup definitely needs to be fixed, as it helps to tell whether or not kills should really be happening (if you see someone in the top 5 with lousy eq, something's off. Or they've got a screwed up sense of humour. I've done that before. Hehe. Specifically to bug people.) and to help make it so you don't feel quite as disconnected from everyone.

Chat would be nice... that was one of the core features that kept people at WaR2, as you had the opportunity to slander your fellow players and have them try (and fail) to defend themselves.

Better anti-bot needs to be in... Probably adding in referrer checks would be a good initial step, but eventually possibly doing mob repops where killing the same mob repeatedly makes it so you have to wait for it to come back. BUT this specific delay shouldn't go in yet, because as it stands, someone could probably eventually get it to where nothing is spawned on the whole map... -_-

Having hover-over information on the map would be good, as that makes it feel less like looking at a blurred candy box when you're starting to zone out.

[Added at 01/08/2008 18:30:06 by Chargg]
Oh yes... additionally, I'd suggest probably doing the class/race bonuses as percentage bonuses (like original WaR2) rather than straight bonuses, because this makes the decisions early on matter for the future. :)
GuildaMage said on: 2008-01-08 05:42 pm
5952 Days, 17 Hrs, 22 Min, 25 Sec ago
I agree with cll, make the map squeeze in on the main screen.
Guardian said on: 2008-01-08 06:43 pm
5952 Days, 16 Hrs, 20 Min, 39 Sec ago
I agree with many of the things here such as:

- Race/Profession Info
- Chat
- Remember last spell cast for that battle or in general
- Better Anti-bot protection (You said it already so its at the bottom since I don't know what you are already adding)

And

- If the "remember last spell" isnt added, to make it look better and easier to find spells, maybe an auto sort spells so if you buy spells out of order, it would still be in ascending order so its not as hard to select spells (specially when newer spells are added)

More to come if I remember what I had thought about while I was playing
ChaoticLaw said on: 2008-01-09 08:02 am
5952 Days, 3 Hrs, 1 Min, 58 Sec ago
You can use any of the existing NN chats while playing, or did you mean an in-game chat too? I don't see how that would be really necessary.

Personally I want to see how the PvP will be.
TheSource (Admin) said on: 2008-01-09 08:39 am
5952 Days, 2 Hrs, 25 Min, 21 Sec ago
Anti-Bot will be added.
I am currently re-designing the map to be not only easier to look at, but show exits as well, possibly the ability to have it 10x10 15x15, or 20x20.
Spells will be reworked, they should display better, as well as have more function than just attacking.
User lookup and and help files will be updated soon as well (By the way, the racial/class bonuses ARE percentages, and not static values)
Also, the new NN Chat Babbleon will be making its public release with WaR2, with possible nifty commands like Item Links (Think WoW) among other things.
Dealer1 said on: 2008-01-10 02:10 am
5951 Days, 8 Hrs, 53 Min, 58 Sec ago
By adding more functions to spells, I hope you don't mean pokemon spells like waterfall, fly and flash.

I was thinking that not everything should be indicated on the map. Things like..an abandoned altar that's still working or a secret shop..they don't have to be on the map.

Can you add in a crack corner or a gambling den where you can 'Fight Dealer (normal)'?
Crlaozwyn said on: 2008-01-10 04:05 am
5951 Days, 6 Hrs, 59 Min, 26 Sec ago
While TheSource may not have a coke dealer in any of the initial release areas, I may be inclined to squeeze on in somewhere (provided TheSource doesn't read this post and decide that I shouldn't be allowed to build anymore...).

I enjoyed the beta and am looking forward to the updates. Hopefully we'll be able to make this game bot-free. I like many of the suggestions I've read here as well, including the one about "hidden" stuff. I know in the old WaR2 I'd just check my map and dash through an area to get what I wanted... if there was the chance to find something not everyone knew about, I'd be a bit more inclined to explore.

I know I posted this elsewhere, but seeing as this is an opinion/ideas thread, I'll repeat myself: I still like the idea of a custom item forge for players. It could require a certain level so it would be a prestige thing as well, and would doubtlessly be expensive (even more so than comparable items, due to custom names, etc). I know this would take a bit of work (and a lot of item #'s! Maybe start at 15000 or something so it doesn't interfere with normal items?) but I think the diversity would be awesome.

Also, potions would still be sweet.
Guardian said on: 2008-01-16 02:03 pm
5944 Days, 21 Hrs, 55 Sec ago
Hmm, yes, there was that

Potions (especially those for magic recovery), some way to recover mana, or add in a stamina stat that is used only when fighting with weapons to allow mages to be a more competitive build instead of being more of a end-game/late game build (Only since while higher level monsters have a lot of physical defense, most of the monsters that give good xp do not).

Reasons:
- Higher level spells use a large portion of magic points (mp).

- Spells increase at about the same rate as a fighter would increase weapon damage per level whereas fighters have no cost to swing their weapon and mages always have a cost to cast their spells.

- Most monsters are located far from Shrines so mp recovery takes a lot of time. Possibly up to the amount of time it takes for a fighter the same level to kill the same monster 2-5 times more

- Fighters can go on longer periods of time if not forever before going back to the shrines most of the time due to the amount of equipment allowing them to reduce the damage taken from hitpoints, whereas most if not all spells drain a lot of mp per cast and it takes multiple spells to kill most monsters.

[Added at 01/16/2008 15:09:33 by Guardian]
And by end-game/late game build I mean, that at the end, they possibly will be able to kill the higher level monsters faster than fighters that are much higher level than themselves, but in everything else (levels/pvp/rankings) they would most likely lose.
Chargg said on: 2008-01-16 05:23 pm
5944 Days, 17 Hrs, 41 Min, 23 Sec ago
The issue is that, like in original WaR2, given the choice between the two, Fighters will always be the best build for everything. As Fighters can continue to, with proper equipment, tank the same enemies for hours, while Mages can only take as many as their mp can stand, they will always do better.

Worse, when alternate spells such as damage and armour improving spells are added, the Fighter/Mage hybrid will become much stronger than the straight Mage, as they'll use their weapon for most of the damage, while initially boosting their armour to the point where they take no damage, then increasing damage to the point where they can barely scratch the enemy... at which point all they have to do is swing until it's dead.

While this hybrid form does have SOME slight limitations, in that eventually it needs to go and heal, it doesn't have nearly the limitations of a straight Mage, and if the player is lazy, they can function as a pure Fighter until the player gets lazy enough to destroy the top mobs again.

The only way to truly balance this out is to either actually limit which spells can be used by which class, to make attacking cost energy as well, and/or to make spells cost less/nothing for Mages (though this one would need spells to be soaked as well, else Mages would be insanely overpowered). If spell cost was reduced for them, then it should be somehow factored into their level, in that it should become easier and easier to cast as your strength and knowledge raise. Even so, if it's only lowered, as long as Fighters can attack at will without any risk, they're going to continue to be the easy class for destroying the world; while Mages will be the ones people will use to snipe the top mobs and keep information accurate, they won't be used in any real sense.