General Forum

Tips for CIS student 9 replies

Wolfblack said on: 2007-05-08 02:03 pm
6198 Days, 1 Hr, 41 Min, 5 Sec ago
i got to Devry my major is computer information systems and my compression is Web-desigh and adminisration i was wondering if any of you guys out there have a few tips for me its my first semester and right know im just learning Visual Logic but im gonna eventually learn the others. so if ya have any tips id greatly appreciate it alot

[Added at 05/08/2007 16:03:15 by Wolfblack]
Shadowsguy said on: 2007-05-08 02:43 pm
6198 Days, 1 Hr, 38 Sec ago
Bail. Quickly. Programming sucks hardcore.

Networking/systems administration is the way to go. More money, less repetitive boringness that will cause your brain to implode. Instead of doing things like typing code all day (*snore*) you do things like create/manage ID's, manage email, copying files, install windows on new PC's(and play logd on another computer while it's installing), and other fun things.

But that's JMO :D
Korgrath (Mod) said on: 2007-05-08 03:54 pm
6197 Days, 23 Hrs, 49 Min, 36 Sec ago
I started college going for a CS degree, but spending 4 hours in the lab because I missed a ; or something somewhere in my stupid little Java program made me explode, so I dropped it. If you really like it though, don't be afraid to stick it out, even though people say the bottom's fallen out on the programming market, there does still seem to be a strong demand for it.
TBrown (Admin) said on: 2007-05-08 04:29 pm
6197 Days, 23 Hrs, 14 Min, 42 Sec ago
"things like create/manage ID's, manage email, copying files, install windows on new PC's"

That is a surefire recipe for boredom! Give me a tough algorithm to solve over silly administrative tasks any day!

I guess what I'm trying to say is: programming is for some people, administration is for some people. If you don't like where your degree program is taking you, change it.
TheSource (Admin) said on: 2007-05-08 08:21 pm
6197 Days, 19 Hrs, 22 Min, 29 Sec ago
I would love a job in programming.
Xasthur said on: 2007-05-08 08:35 pm
6197 Days, 19 Hrs, 8 Min, 54 Sec ago
There are certainly jobs for programming, but you can probably make more money as a system or network admin (I also know a few who didn't even finish high school), as Shadowsguy said, and it's 100x easier (at least it would be for me, but I've never made a serious attempt to learn programming; (un)fortunately, univ engineering programs require some programming classes, so I might have to try before that=P). Of course, if system admining is so easy that it becomes boring, that's not good either. Then again, if you don't enjoy counting }'s, then programming might not be for you.=P

Basically, do what you think will present a more enjoyable career (like not feeling like it's such a waste of your time going in to work).
Vegito said on: 2007-05-08 09:23 pm
6197 Days, 18 Hrs, 20 Min, 36 Sec ago
Tom took the works right out of my mouth.
Anyways I don't really consider web-design the same thing as programming. . .
Gemz said on: 2007-05-09 07:15 am
6197 Days, 8 Hrs, 28 Min, 38 Sec ago
webdesign is much differnt then programming.

Of course im going to be biased because im a IT tech :)

I hate programming!
lolz

Not that i hate it, its just something i never did really want to learn because it did involve "if this 1 line got screwed nothing works"

That and i have a case of ADD and i couldnt sit there for long periods of time tryin to do it.

But seriously, there is ALWAYS a need for a good programmer. Example, any kinda software company would look for one with basic knowledge and has the will to learn will get paid decently.
About a year ago Magic the Gathering was looking for people that knew alittle bit about programming and linux for their online game.

Thats big bucks there :)

Wolfblack said on: 2007-05-09 12:43 pm
6197 Days, 3 Hrs, 34 Sec ago
well im only getting my associate in CIS web-design and admin becouse i can transfer the credits i earn from there to what i really want Video Game and Simulation programming the stuff there teaching me is pretty fun i enjoy it alot but like i said its Visual Logic...working with algorithims and flow-charts the basics of everything VGSP is in the same field as Web-design and admin....and as for design not being a programmer were doing both design and programming the real name of the class is programming logic and design
Space-Monkey said on: 2007-05-09 08:25 pm
6196 Days, 19 Hrs, 19 Min, 3 Sec ago
Forget all the computer boringness, become a motorcycle mechanic, you're getting your hands dirty every day, finding problems with new bikes, you get a discount from where you work if you buy a bike, and you get to test ride everything you work on!